• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make combined pdf pages the same size.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have combined several pages into one pdf Binder.  Although all the pages were built on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, inside the combined pdf they are different sizes on the scree.  How can I achieve continuity between all the page sizes?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Print to Adobe PDF with "fit" (uncheck from "actual size") in print settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

You can do this with Acrobat Pro.

Go to Tools> Print Production> Prefilght> FixUps (blue wrench icon)> Pages.

Select Scale pages to specified size

Go to the little fly-out menu and duplicate the prefilght, give it a new name.

Click on Edit, to change the desired final trim size and the method used to get to this size (scale, white border, etc.)

Click on Fix to apply the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 127 Replies 127
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nfotx6708 ,

Could you please tell what application you are using to combine pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat XI, 11.0.7.

I combined several pdf files into one binder.  In the thumbnails column, the first page highlights blue around the entire page and that page is seen in full size to the right of the thumbnails column.  The second thumbnail highlights in blue around the entire page but has the black "viewing window" representing what is showing full size on the screen.

I have attached an image showing the difference between page one and two.  I would prefer to have the entire binder display pages in the same size.  All of these pages are 8.5 x 11 Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 1.36.39 PM.pnginches in physical form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combining PDF files with Adobe Acrobat will not change the pages sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print to Adobe PDF with "fit" (uncheck from "actual size") in print settings.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best workaround ever!

I had done the pre-flight nonsense a cuple years ago, and couldn't remember the 'combination.' This is sooooo much better.

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are doing God's work Sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great! Thanks very much. But the option I had to select is now called "Fill entire paper", when printing to PDF from Preview on a MacBook running OS X 12.6 Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked and was so helpful. I tried the preflight option first and the file was too big and Adobe crashed. The printing option was perfect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a relief to finally fix this so easily!  This has been an issue for me for awhile. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Beautiful. Works like a treat.

I should have looked this up many years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of the pages have crop marks and/or bleed? The trim size for all of the pages might be 8.5x11, but the pages with crop marks will have a larger media box, and look larger on screen. In Acrobat, you can go to Tools> Print Production> Preflight> (select the wrench icon for changes)> Pages> Set Crop Box to Trim Box.

You can also place all of the pages into InDesign and export to a new PDF at the desired size.

You can go to File> Document Properties> Initial View> Magnification to select a desired magnification when the PDF is opened, however it won't force different sized pages to appear to be the same size.

If you are sending your PDF to a commercial printer, be sure to include bleed on your PDF, if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Luke,

thwnk you so much for this detailed answer! I have it installed on an iPad. I cannot find "tools" nor is there an option if I select print to "print Adobe PDF". Are your instructions not valid for an iPad set up?   Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight is in Acrobat Pro. Only on macOS and Windows.

Adobe PDF printer is Windows only.

The facilities on iPad are very limited by comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Print to Adobe PDF is not supported use 'save as'"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

""Print to Adobe PDF is not supported use 'save as'""

This is true for Mac computers only, since Apple locked virtual print services.
No problem with Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  This was the simple solution.  I had scanned a signature page and added it to an existing document.  The Scanned page was much larger than the existing document pages and the only way to make all the pages the same size was to Print to Adobe PDF and check the fit box instead of actual size box, in the print to Adobe PDF screen.  

Now, how to figure out how to scan pages in as the same size as the document I'm adding the scanned page to, that would preclude this need to print to adobe pdf again.    

Thanks for the solution, @George Salnik!  

3. Re: Making combined pdf pages the same size.

George_SalnikAdobe Community Professional

Mike Kaminsky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the following question was answered in this thread: What if I am combining PDF files of different page sizes? For example:

Doc1 (created from a Word file) + Doc2 (image scanned at high resolution) = Doc3 (now contains vastly different page sizes)

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC's combine files feature. Printer settings in Word shouldn't make a difference in the final output. I would expect the solution to be in Acrobat, but I'm just a caveman.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you would like to scale the PDF pages to the same size? or do you mean you want to just expand the page boundaries?

You can use the crop tool, or write a script to set the page boundaries. But scaling is a different issue. One way to do it is to print to PDF. The printer settings will force the pages to all be scaled to fit on to the specified paper size.

I believe my answer here is the same as the response marked as the correct answer.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing to PDF instead of using the Combine feature in Acrobat has fixed the issue, and reduced the overall file size as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have wasted so much time trying to figure this out. When I select Print (to my printer, I don't see an option to Print to Adobe Printer), I then go through the process of selecting my page size in properties and then chose Fit to Page and then there is no way to save this configuration and the page sizes in my document remain all slightly different. I am using Windows 10.

Please advise this is a huge problem and Acrobat should have a more straight forward way to address this problem.

BTW, I have no interest in printing or having anyone else print this document, I want it to be a PDF file with pages of all one size for consistency. Otherwise it looks unprofessional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want the page size to be A5 or somewhere in the neighborhood of 6" x 8.5"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this with Acrobat Pro.

Go to Tools> Print Production> Prefilght> FixUps (blue wrench icon)> Pages.

Select Scale pages to specified size

Go to the little fly-out menu and duplicate the prefilght, give it a new name.

Click on Edit, to change the desired final trim size and the method used to get to this size (scale, white border, etc.)

Click on Fix to apply the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have tried that and see no option to scale page size

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 10:52 AM Luke Jennings <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines