• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making Hand Tool the Default Choice

Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat Professional, after I select the Selection Tool and close the document, the next document which I open has the Selection Tool selected. (The program remembers the last choice.) What needs to be changed in the settings so that documents may always open with the Hand (Pan) tool selected?

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Interestingly enough - afters hours of searching for a solution this is what worked for me:

• I opened a PDF, right-clicked to select the Hand Tool
  • In Edit>Preferences>Accessibility>CHECK "Always display the keyboard selection cursor">Click OK (this was unchecked by default)
  • In Edit>Preferences>General - Change Touch Mode to Always (This was Auto-detect by default)

So, essentially I did the reverse of everything I found online and it worked.  I have closed and opened multiple PDF's and the Hand Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Just got off with Enterprise Support and they said these recent changes are by design.  They know all these work arounds that have been floating around on these forums no longer work after this latest update.

The Support Tech provided had me change a registry key and it fixed the problem. 

Browse to key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection
Set aDefaultSelect=Hand (instead of Select)

We did this several months ago, but updates revert this back to Select.  But it works.  Just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

I have just updated my Acrobat DC to version 2022.002.20212 | 64-bit and found that this update have not fixed the issue yet:

In Non-Touch Mode, the tool is default to the Select Tool. In this mode, if I change to the Hand Tool, Acrobat can't let me "Make Hand tool select text & images", even if I checked this option.

In Touch Mode, the tool is default to the Hand Tool. In this mode, the "Make Hand tool select text & images" option works well. But I don't want the Touch Mode.

Workaround solution:

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

The only solution that worked for me was to:

1. Open Acrobat

2. Open random pdf document

3. Select "comment" tool

4. When in 'comment mode' left-click document and select Hand tool.

5. Close and reopen Acrobat

6. Hand tool should now be set as default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

After dealing with this issue for far too long, in the end as always it was obvious and for some reason it is not the top answer on any of the discussions I found surrounding the topic of the defaulting hand tool. 

Simply go to edit, then preferences and in general you may notice that touch mode is set on always or auto-detect. Change it to prompt on launch or never. Done.

This happened in my case because I had to delete and download Adobe again, and if you have a touch screen computer it will a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated my Acrobat DC to version 2022.002.20212 | 64-bit and found that this update have not fixed the issue yet:

In Non-Touch Mode, the tool is default to the Select Tool. In this mode, if I change to the Hand Tool, Acrobat can't let me "Make Hand tool select text & images", even if I checked this option.

In Touch Mode, the tool is default to the Hand Tool. In this mode, the "Make Hand tool select text & images" option works well. But I don't want the Touch Mode.

Workaround solution: set the following value
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection]
"aDefaultSelect"="Hand"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HaVX, my basketball buddy! Thank you for your answer. I used Revo Uninstaller to completely rip out Acrobat Reader & rebooted carefully, reinstalled, did the normal preferences settings and still no joy. But when I did the registry change, presto it works! Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not fix the issue.  Fresh 64-bit installation updated to 22.2.20212 and it still defaults to the selection tool instead of the hand tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

As I stated in my last reply, this has not solved the issue.  I have performed several fresh installations since you marked everything as solved and the tool is still defaulting to Selection.

I must still go into the registry and manually change the default to Hand.

Please advise.  Marking all threads related to this as solved without having users test out your solution is a bit short sided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RWui 

We are sorry for the trouble. This issue is reported to the engineering team and they are working on it.

We will share more information once we get any updates from them.

Thanks for your time and patience

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RWui,

Sorry for the inconvience caused. We are showing Select Tool as default,  To change it to hand tool we can easily do it through just by selecting Hand tool and to get Hand tool selected always you can select Touch Mode Always under Preferences --> General.

Please let me know if this is not the issue to fix it asap.

Thanks & Regards

Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaurav, 

Unfortunatly Touch Mode set to Always does not stick.  After restarting Adobe, even though it's in Touch Mode, it goes back to Selection Tool.  This is with a fresh install and fully updated Adobe Acrobat 64,

Extremely frustrating that Adobe cannot get this problem fixed or provide a toggle in Preferences to explicitly choose what the user wants to default to.

Acrobat and Creative Cloud is a HOT MESS right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RWui,

Sorry for the trouble , Could you please help me with below details to fix it asap.
1. Could you please share the Acrobat version.
2. Could you please share the Device details like Win/Mac , Version , Touch/Non Touch.
3. Also , a short video of the issue.

Thanks & Regards
Gaurav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit preferences, General, and set Touch Mode:  Never.  This switched if the the selection cursor by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

teresaa84034383_0-1668529809723.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2024 Oct 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

El resto de opciones no funcionan. ESTA Sï y con una imagen clara y concisa. Gracias.

The other options don't work. THIS YES WORK and with a clear and concise image. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@noemirPS AWESOME!!! Thank you so MUCH!  It really was opposite of everything online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution that worked for me was to:

1. Open Acrobat

2. Open random pdf document

3. Select "comment" tool

4. When in 'comment mode' left-click document and select Hand tool.

5. Close and reopen Acrobat

6. Hand tool should now be set as default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@noemirPS you are my hero. This has been driving me bananas since the new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run regedit

Browse to > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\Selection
Set aDefaultSelect=Hand (instead of Select)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After dealing with this issue for far too long, in the end as always it was obvious and for some reason it is not the top answer on any of the discussions I found surrounding the topic of the defaulting hand tool. 

Simply go to edit, then preferences and in general you may notice that touch mode is set on always or auto-detect. Change it to prompt on launch or never. Done.

This happened in my case because I had to delete and download Adobe again, and if you have a touch screen computer it will assume you want to get handsy so it will default to the hand. Switch it to prompt on launch or never and you'll get the select tool back regardless of whatever is going on in accessibility or the boxes for adjusting how the hand tool works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried what noemirPS recommended and it works.  Nothing else that I tried or what was recommended di - exist this one.  Thanks noemirPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is the worst software. It behaves exactly like Microsoft, which is an inferior tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines