• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menus Non-Responsive or Generate an Error Message

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Without changes to my computer (that I know of) Acrobat is no longer working properly. Menus are either non responsive (example: attempting to print) or generate an error message (in the case of attempting to save): "The document could not be saved. An unimplemented or obsolete function was called."

I have tried changing the "Protected View" setting. No change.

I have tried a Repair Installation. No change.

I have tried an Uninstall/Reinstall with cleaning out temporary files in-between. Now menus like "Edit PDF" work, but as I cannot save that does me no good.

I downloaded AcroMon and ran it with advanced logging, but don't know how to interpret the results. (Given the sensitive content I am unwilling to post the results publicly, but will PM them to an Adobe employee who might be able to help.)

I would appreciate some help.

MMahoney

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Problem solved. Windows did their Microsoft-Tuesday update yesterday. I did a "Repair Installation" after that and everything now works.

Thank you for your attempt to assist.

MMahoney

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MMahoney

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you are unable to save the PDF file and getting the error ''The document could not be saved. An unimplemented or obsolete function was called."

Also, you have tried some troubleshooting steps with no success.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

If the PDF file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer first and check if that helps.

You may also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page -  https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

Thank you for your response. I have tried resetting Acrobat Preferences as you describe above, also with no success.

The behavior I describe is with all PDF documents.

As I have uninstalled and reinstalled (including Creative Cloud since that was required to install Acrobat) I would assume I am on the latest release. What appears in Acrobat is "Continuous Release | Version 2021.005.20060"

MMahoney

(P.S.: For what it's worth, I ran a helpdesk for many years and have been an IT professional for nearly 25. I did all the searches and tried all of the suggested fixes prior to posting here. I was hoping it would be an easy fix like resetting preferences but it is not. Posting here is my last resort.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, clicking on "Check for Updates" generates an error message:
An unimplemented or obsolete function was called.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that. Please try to remove the application using the Acrobat Cleaner tool - https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works for you. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC subscription model and not the Enterprise version. I did use the tool as you suggested, even though it specifically says that it is for the standalone version and not the subscription/creative cloud version.

I then downloaded and installed Acrobat Pro DC using the installation file at the link you provided.

Things have improved as I can now save.

However, I still cannot print. Also, clicking on "Check for Updates" still generates an error of "An unimplemented or obsolete function was called."

Being able to print is essential and I cannot print. Do you have any other recommendations?

MMahoney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for trying out the suggestion. Also, please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows or enable the root account in Mac as described earlier and see if that works for you.

Also, please share a sample PDF file so that we can try to reproduce the issue and check it at our end. https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

Thanks

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

I already have full admin rights on this PC and have tried "Run as Administrator" to be on the safe-side. I will be happy to share a PDF with you, but as this is happening to every single PDF I open (including PDFs downloaded from Cisco's website) I do not think it is a document-side issue.

In fact, I discovered quite by accident over the weekend that I can print a PDF if I right-click and print using Windows to spool the document rather than printing from inside Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

The problem is with the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC software. This is what needs troubleshooting. I don't get errors in other programs. I understand that you likely work with folks who have little-to-no knowledge of PCs, software, etc and usually work with simple problems. This is not that. Would you kindly escalate this issue to the next level of support, or at least help troubleshoot the underlying software rather than these things I've already read here in the forums and tried before I posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved. Windows did their Microsoft-Tuesday update yesterday. I did a "Repair Installation" after that and everything now works.

Thank you for your attempt to assist.

MMahoney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having the same problems at about the same time. Earlier today (US Eastern time) everything was working well and fast, but now everything is moving at a crawl and I am even having a hard time printing. (Sometimes if I wait long enough the Print dialog box will show up, but then even making selections takes a l-o-n-g time and sometimes it just hangs.) I restarted Windows and it seems to be okay, but when I tried to print it got hung up again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines