• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

minimum password character requirement

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Adobe recently change the minimum character requirement for a password from 4 to 6?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

In the latest version of Acrobat Adobe made character limit for passwords consistent across all UI invocation points. Protect tool already had a limit of 6 characters but some entry points still allowed lower limits which was raised by some customers as an anomaly. In latest version minimum limit has been set to 6 for all invocation points.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Hi All,

Adding to the information provided above.

Please refer to the information provided in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/set-pdf-passwords-fewer-than-six-characters-long.html to set fewer than six characters long password for a PDF.

Hope the information helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest version of Acrobat Adobe made character limit for passwords consistent across all UI invocation points. Protect tool already had a limit of 6 characters but some entry points still allowed lower limits which was raised by some customers as an anomaly. In latest version minimum limit has been set to 6 for all invocation points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no option to disable the minimum 6 characters for password?

I mean at the end of the day, it is our own document we are protecting -- and as such, I should have control on how long or short my password should be....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you as it should be our choice on what to do with our documents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too. We password protect anything that comes out of our office and already vary the strength of the password based on what we're sending. We've used a 4 digit passcode that's easy for us and for the client to know for YEARS and now we'll have to change it. I greatly wish that Adobe would give us the choice to change the security settings away from the mandatory 6 digits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is interested, I've found a workaround that allows us to still secure PDFs with a four character password. Message me if you'd like the details. I would post it here, but I'm scared Adobe would edit there software to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz how can I still use 4 digits password ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please - I'd like the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in the workaround Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I require this work around, please !! I have tried the ones adobe suggested to no avail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature needs to be scrapped ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please clarify whether this new requirement impacts only PDF documents created specifically within Adobe Acrobat? Also, what happens to documents that were previously created with a 5-digit password? Will those fail to open on this version of the software?

I have multiple documents sent to me from different companies that use a 5-digit ZIP code as the password in my inbox. Will I still be able to access those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The limit applies to all documents on which password is being applied from inside Acrobat. It does not matter where the document was created. The limit is not enforced when applying protection via scripting. This is so as to not break any existing automated systems that apply password protection. The limit has been enforced to maintain consistency across different UI options in the application. On some UI invocation points (example File->Protect using password)  this limit was already enforced even in previous versions. Also, a longer password is difficult to break and helps users protect their content better.

There will be no issue opening the PDFs that were previously protected with password (even if it was less than 6 characters).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to change this to allow us to use a four digit passcode? We have long time clients with systems set in place to use a specific four digit passcode and they will be extremely upset if we have to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz I have tons of pdf with 4 digit password. It's impossible for me now to change them all ! I need the 4 digits password 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MohdKashif, thank you. The workaround using Adobe AcrobatDC's Action Wizard works for me now. Our scripting works as well.  Is there a sunset date planned when that workaround will no longer be available to retain 4-digit passcodes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Adding to the information provided above.

Please refer to the information provided in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/set-pdf-passwords-fewer-than-six-characters-long.html to set fewer than six characters long password for a PDF.

Hope the information helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life Save! Thanks... much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

I have followed your steps carefully to no avail.  It simply will not work.  It would be an understatement to say how frustrated I am with Adobe for making this change.  Please help.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone respond to you!?! Also having the same issue, frustrating is an understatement. It's all about corporate greed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't. I've tried multiple

times, followed steps til

the end of the Action Wizard, hit "save" and will still prompt for a 6 character password. This feature needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my question to you as a company is: if you are unwilling to disable this ridiculous, restricting feature, then we as YOUR consumers and users need to know an alternative program which will allow password protection set at any limit. #abortadobe #adobefail #playingacrobatsinmymind 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aurora1585

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble caused.

As the steps suggested do not work, would you mind sharing the following information?

- Acrobat and OS version on your machine?

- Did you try these steps before on the older version?

- What happens when you use the steps mentioned in the help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/set-pdf-passwords-fewer-than-six-characters-long.html?

It would be helpful if you could share the screen recording of the steps you do.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

June 29th, 2023:  In Windows 11 Pro (latest version/all updates installed) and using Acrobat - Standard (monthly subscription; also latest version/all updates installed) the "Set fewer than six characters long password for a PDF" article (above) is useless.

The Action Wizard workaround requires purchasing/upgrading from Acrobat Standard to Acrobat Pro.  No thanks.  I just need to be able to set 4-character passwords the way I always have been able to.

The Windows registry edit workaround doesn't work at all.

@ADOBE, please update Acrobat to include an advanced setting allowing users to decide how many characters they would like to require for their document passwords.  Even if choosing less than 6-characters triggers a pop-up warning saying Adobe doesn't recommend this, but allowing the user to proceed if they choose to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines