• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Misrepresentation issues

New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my genealogical research, I work with a program.This program creates pdf files. 
When I look at these files with edge or firefox, everything is perfect.
When I look at these files with Acrobat DC there are characters that don't belong there.
I need help please
regards
Hans

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Thanks for providing the file.

The problem is that the file was not properly created based upon running Acrobat's Preflight profile List  potential font problems:

Preflight 1.png

Running this profile yields:

Preflight 2.png

Those small box characters you see are what are called notdef characters. Apparently, the PDF file's text references characters which are not in the embedded fonts themselves. Acrobat follows the PDF specification and displays the font's notdef character when text is referencing a character that isn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is appropriate for you to provide a file that shows raster images of what you are seeing. However, unless you provide that actual original file for us to examine, we cannot ascertain what the problem really is.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answer

Ok here the original PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for providing the file.

The problem is that the file was not properly created based upon running Acrobat's Preflight profile List  potential font problems:

Preflight 1.png

Running this profile yields:

Preflight 2.png

Those small box characters you see are what are called notdef characters. Apparently, the PDF file's text references characters which are not in the embedded fonts themselves. Acrobat follows the PDF specification and displays the font's notdef character when text is referencing a character that isn't otherwise and/or properly embedded in the PDF file.

Acrobat would not be following the PDF specification if it did not show those notdef characters.

The bottom line is that (1) whatever program generated the PDF file should have warned the user that they were referencing characters that were not in the font or otherwise that software was not properly generating the PDF file given the text strings and the font definitions and (2) Edge and Firefox's non-Adobe PDF renderers are in error by not displaying the notdef character for characters referenced and not actually either in the font or embedded in the PDF file. This is absolutely not any “misrepresentation” of the PDF by Acrobat.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines