• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MS Word 2016 Converting to PDF Incorrect Layout.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to convert A4 size docx file to PDF but the page layout keeps ending up with two extra pages with different gap sizes between contents. It seems like the PDFMaker is refusing to use A4 size and reverting back size letter. Any help? really frustrated with Adobe DC atm...(having tried so many other solutions from the web). I have also tried to print to Adobe PDF which had the correct layout on preview and the wrong one after saving.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Okay, I have figured out the problem by myself... The problem is with the fonts. Because my documents includes foreign language/characters, you have to use one of the THEME FONT from the drop down menu in Word. Somehow it just wouldn't covert with correct layout with some specific fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what Word does. It will also do it if you change printer or version, so Word should only be used in the expectation of reflow. For most documents this is no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I can't quite follow. Why does the preview of the PDF show a correct version but after saving the document it seems like each page has been drag down a bit and creating blank spaces(therefore the two extra pages)?? I did check the page properties of the incorrect PDF. The page size is correct 8.27 x 11.69 in (A4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeesss... I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I have tried with one of my original document which had no images in ms word 2016 and the PDF came out with correct layout. So I assume the problem is with exporting images to PDF? I couldn't edit my OP cause the edit button is gone from Actions... Adobe pls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My document does not contain pictures, but I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if Word previews one thing and prints a different thing, Word's Print preview seems broken. Except... are you previewing with the Adobe PDF printer AND THEN PRINTING TO THAT PRINTER? Not previewing, then saving to PDF or clicking Create PDF? (The Acrobat ribbon is usually considered the best way to convert).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the preview in MS Word 2016 where you go file and select Adobe PDF as printer and the preview just shows up on the right hand side. This is one way to prompt to save as PDF but I have tried other ways either directly from MS Word (Save as PDF, Export to PDF and Create PDF from the Acrobat Tab)or from Acrobat DC itself to convert docx document. But PDF comes out of it has incorrect layout. Im now suspecting something to do with images within Word document since the original file without images worked perfectly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you print those pages to paper (direct from Word)?

One thing to consider, and I think this may be likely because this is almost the worst problem I have ever heard of: there is usually some text reflow, this is expected and normal. So, if the images were put at EXACT positions on the page, AND if the author just used newlines to space over the images - then you could see this effect, as the text is reflowed and the images do not move. In this case, working differently in Word may fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried with printing out the pages but I will once I setup my printer again. I'm going to try to take off the images and insert them again with no spaces. I do have newlines to space over the images, is there a way to create space without have the text 'reflowed'? (and why couldn't us see the 'reflowed' text change directly since this affect the outcome of the PDF conversion)

Cheers for the help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using space to move over the images is almost certain to cause issues like this, and is a disaster in Word, like typing page numbers or using return at the end of a line. I think you should probably be using images that are anchored to the text, so that when the text is reflowed, the image moves with it; anchored frames are useful.

Print preview should show you what is printed with the current driver; if It does not do that (e.g. when using print preview with Adobe PDF selecting, then printing to Adobe PDF). However, printing to PDF is almost the worst possible way to make a PDF from Word, so this isn't normally an issue. You can't get a preview in Word for Save as PDF or Create Adobe PDF. The PDF itself is considered the object to check, as if it is a preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have figured out the problem by myself... The problem is with the fonts. Because my documents includes foreign language/characters, you have to use one of the THEME FONT from the drop down menu in Word. Somehow it just wouldn't covert with correct layout with some specific fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My same experience was resolved by installing Bullzip PDF printer, so I assume it is a scripting issue between Office 2016 and Adobe Reader DC. You don't even need to specify Bullzip printer. Just save as /share as you normally do. Make sure your firewall is turned off when installing Bullzip. The main PDF writing component requires it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines