• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Radio Button Groups

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid to ask based on what I have read about radio button groups. All I want is the most basic functionality that anyone would expect to see happen. I have 3 questions that require a Yes or No answer. I added a set of 2 radio buttons to question 1 and set them to Yes or No, making Yes selected by default. Of course they were automatically created in Group 1.

Now, I need the same thing for question 2 and question 3. But when I create new buttons they get added to Group 1 which does not work. When you go in the Properties you can see the Group 1 with a dropdown but there is no other group in there to select and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make another group for the buttons for question 2 and then another group for the buttons for question 3. 

People are talking about custom scripts creating fields and all this, I just need some functioning radio buttons. Does anyone have a solution? I saw one article that talked about right clicking and selecting wrap in new group but I don't see that option anywhere. 

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Okie dokie.... I'm answering my own question for anyone else that might need it. I figured it out. 

I had created 2 radio buttons for question 1.

I created 2 new buttons for question 2 which got grouped into Group 1 along with the first 2 buttons.

I selected the 2 new buttons for question 2 and went into Properties and literally changed the name of the group from Group 1 to Group 2 by backing out the "1" and typing in a "2" and hit Enter.

Doing that created a new Group (Group 2) and put my new butt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okie dokie.... I'm answering my own question for anyone else that might need it. I figured it out. 

I had created 2 radio buttons for question 1.

I created 2 new buttons for question 2 which got grouped into Group 1 along with the first 2 buttons.

I selected the 2 new buttons for question 2 and went into Properties and literally changed the name of the group from Group 1 to Group 2 by backing out the "1" and typing in a "2" and hit Enter.

Doing that created a new Group (Group 2) and put my new buttons in that new group. Now they function as they should in their own group.

Repeated that process for 2 more button for Group 3.

Man.... I can't believe there is nothing I have found on the internet that says how to do this. I just did it out of desperation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Checkboxes-and-Radio-Buttons.cfm

However, it's not like this information is hidden. In fact Acrobat pops up a little window asking you for the group and choice name. All you need to do is enter the new group name. It's right there in front of you. 

Also being burdened with having to go to the properties window and press back space is not horrible. It's pretty standard. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as I said, I already figured it out, so really no need for your comments at all. Furthermore, the little pop up does show you those fields but it doesn't say anythig about editing them, if provides a dropdown to change it. But when there is nothing in there but the one you don't want, it isn't obvious that you edit the name in order to create a new name. And no it isn't horrible if you know what to do, I'm perfectly fine with doing it that way. It just was not obvious that was what was needed. So yeah, it was horrible and burdensome...... until I figured it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was incredibly helpful, and I faced the same burdens as you. 

Thom, it's a better use of time to provide feedback to the development team instead of chastizing community members seeking help with challenges using the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you people have intelligence of a 5-year-old?

When you place button, it's right in front of your eyes:

tempsnip.png

You can also rename it in field properties, General tab or just right click on field and select 'Rename'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, it's not right in front of us/me. This pop-up doesn't appear in the most current version of Adobe Pro (I'm using). Your comment was unkind. I'm grateful for the prior post with this information because it used be much more straightforward and it's been quite frustrating that the "updates" made by Adobe have in fact made using Adobe more painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree. I used to use this feature all the time and found the old one with the yellow box so easy. Now it doen't come up at all, and when you only have 2 answers in each group, you do have to manually change the group name individually. It only allows the dropdown group change option now if opening preferences for 2 or more buttons together, and you need to open the first one as a solo first in order to create the new group name in the first place. Terrible choice by Adobe and I came here looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for this from the latest Adobe update November 2023? This box no longer comes up, I am extremely frustrated with the new system. I used to use the radio choice box you've shown above all the time, it literraly no longer comes up since the latest software update. To change it, I do have to add all buttons to the same inital 'group' then manually click each one individually and change the name from there. Adding a new radio button automatically adds it to the last group used, can not select a different one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest version (2023-11) of Acrobat Pro, the popup does NOT appear (tried on 2 computers, with separate licences), and having to right-click buttons in an existing group to change their group to a new one, instead of providing users with a "Create new Radio Button Group" button is really bad UX on Adobe's part. 

Not sure why you'd feel the need to include the 5-year-old part in your forum answer. People taking the time to post a question here are genuinely looking for help, not passive-aggressive replies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was extremely helpful. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your solution, that worked perfectly. I can think of a half a dozen other UI methods they could implement to make this easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. It changed the name of the original group as well and kept all the radio buttons in the same group. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what you've done and how it did not work. Be explicit. Make not assumptions.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was helpful! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave, THANK YOU for your very clear instructions. The company should hire you. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines