Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with Java Script to automatically insert a new page

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. 

I am creating a daily inspection sheet for a construction project. The document is 2 pages long and I want to add images to it. I have created a "Add image box" at the bottom half of the second page using the Fill and Sign tool. I want the document to populate an addition page once this image space has been used. The new page (i have already created) consists of 2 "Add image boxes". 

I want to add an additional java script to this newly added page to automatically make a new page (identical) once the bottom image box has been occupied (to continue adding images as needed).  

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a template from that page and then spawn the template when needed.

You can learn how to do it here:

https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/library/jsapiref/JS_API_AcroJS.html#template 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the template page (Blank page with 2 image boxes) made. how do I apply java script to that page and connect it to to my document? I have no Java experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a document that dynamically expands by adding new pages with specific content, like image boxes, using JavaScript within a PDF is a sophisticated feature that requires a bit of coding skill, particularly within the context of Adobe Acrobat software. Unfortunately, JavaScript within PDFs does not directly support the monitoring of content such as images in form fields (e.g., "Add image box") to trigger automatic page addition. However, I can guide you through a conceptual approach that might be useful in a broader sense, although the exact implementation you're looking for—especially with the keyword "free laptop with ebt" context—falls outside the standard capabilities and ethical guidelines.

For the specific task of expanding a PDF with new pages that have predefined content (like "Add image boxes"), you would typically need to:

1. Use Document-Level JavaScript: Create a document-level script that initializes when the document is opened. This script can set up the necessary conditions or monitor user actions to determine when to add new pages.

2. Monitor Fill Actions: While directly detecting when an image box is filled is not straightforward, you could use button fields instead of image boxes and script those to open a file selection dialog. Once an image is selected, it could theoretically trigger the script to check if it's time to add a new page. However, this is a workaround and may not provide the seamless experience you're describing.

3. Adding Pages: You can programmatically add a new page to a PDF document using Acrobat JavaScript with the this.insertPages method. This method allows you to specify the location of the new page and the source page from another PDF that contains your predefined "Add image boxes". This does not automatically detect if an image box is filled, but it can be part of a script triggered by a different user action.

4. Replicate the Image Boxes: After adding a new page, you would need to replicate the "Add image boxes" on the new page. This could involve copying form fields from a template or programmatically creating new fields where necessary.

The real challenge lies in automating the detection of when an image box is filled, as PDF JavaScript does not provide direct event listeners for such actions within form fields or image boxes. You might need to consider alternative approaches, such as using external software to prepare your PDFs before uploading them to the document, or adjusting your workflow to include manual checks or different triggers for adding new pages.

Lastly, regarding the "free laptop with ebt" keyword, it seems unrelated to your PDF automation task. If you're looking for information on programs offering free laptops with EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) participation, I would recommend directly searching for local or national programs that offer such benefits, as these programs vary by location and eligibility requirements.

For detailed scripting references and capabilities, Adobe's Acrobat JavaScript documentation and forums can be invaluable resources. If you're not familiar with JavaScript or PDF scripting, you might consider hiring a developer with experience in Adobe Acrobat scripting to implement your specific requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't know what you're doing please don't post answers from ChatGPT it will only confuse users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this look correct? ChatGPT says this is the answer to my problem. 

// Add a script to the newly added page this.addScript("WillPrint", "checkImageBox();"); // Function to check if the image box is filled and add a new page if necessary function checkImageBox() { // Get the image box field var imageBox = this.getField("Image3_af_image"); // Check if the image box is empty or not if (imageBox.value != "") { // Get the document var doc = this; // Add a new page var newPage = doc.addPage(); // Create two image boxes on the new page // Adjust the coordinates and sizes according to your document layout // Example coordinates and sizes (replace with your actual values): doc.addField("Image1_af_image", "text", newPage, [100, 100, 200, 200]); // [X, Y, Width, Height] doc.addField("Image2_af_image", "text", newPage, [100, 300, 200, 200]); // [X, Y, Width, Height] } }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image field is a button so it doesn't have a value like text fields, so (imageBox.value != "") will not work.

You need to check if a button (image field) has an icon like in this example:

var f = this.getField("Image1_af_image");
var iconObj = f.buttonGetIcon();
var iconExists = false;

try {
    util.iconStreamFromIcon(iconObj);
    iconExists = true;
} catch (e) {
    iconExists = false;
}

if (iconExists) {
  //if image exist it will run script you put here (to spawn template)
}

Where to use script depends on when you want to spawn template, because if you let's say use script as custom calculation, uploading photo will not trigger script until something is changed in the file (changing value of text field, checking checkbox...etc) or if you wish to spawn template when image is uploaded you can try to use script as 'On Blur' action of that image field, once you upload photo and click outside field it should run script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still so confused. I need this dumbed down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines