Need to edit the text of a link, not the URL behind it

New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with links like Lake Fishing for Trout, which links to a web page with the heading "Lake fishing for trout". I want to select the link text and add a comment to it to instruct a team member to lowercase it like the web page.

I can select the text, but I'm not given a way to add a comment to it. Right-clicking the text shows an option to delete the link, which then lets me edit the text, but I'd like to leave the link in place.

Is there a way to edit link text without deleting the link?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. It would be easier to just add a sticky note next to it explaining what you want.

Normally, I'd be all for properly using the comment tools as you're trying to do, but sometimes things like links and interactive elements can get in the way of being able to interact with the text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Document Geek. Sometimes finding out you can't do something is as useful as a solution. I forgot altogether about the sticky note method; that's what I'll use.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be possible. Did you try the Edit Text tool, under Tools - Content Editing? It should allow you to edit the underlying text without changing the Link object that's above it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat DC (22.001.20117), and when I click the Tools menu, I get a page of labeled icons under the categories Create & Edit, Forms & Signatures, Share & Review, Protect & Standardize, and Customize. One of the icon labels is "Edit PDF", but none is "Tools, Content Editing". Opening Edit PDF shows the document with a panel to its right, where the only option not grayed out is Settings, under Scanned Documents, which mine is not.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the location and exact name of the tool depends on your version of Acrobat. Can you send a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the page of icons, which appears when Tools is clicked in the menu bar at the top (Tools appears to be a menu title, but no menu items appear under it; just the page of icons).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Edit PDF panel and send a screenshot of what you see then.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. That's interesting: I tried that on another file that had a link, and I was able to edit its text (the link object?) by simply selecting the characters and typing. The screenshot  (Add Showing Edit.jpg) of the advertisement shows the result of changing "www" to "wws".

However, I should have added at the outset that the file where I want to edit the text appears on an online commercial web page with fairly sophisticated programming. It allowed the site to be saved as a PDF, which is what I'm editing, so there may be uncommon irregularities in that file. 

In any case, in the problem file, the screenshot (Edit Link.jpg) shows the result of right-clicking the text to edit it. Notice that of the options listed, Edit Link appears, but that opens a Link Properties dialog (Appearance Tab.jpg) where options allow a rectangle of various formats to be drawn around the link text, or in the Actions tab (Actions Tab.jpg) where the Select Action dropdown determines what will occur when the link text is clicked. The Add button under that opens the Menu Item dialog, which lets you choose such things as File > Open, File > Print, andView > Zoom > Zoom To..., and  the Actions box allows editing the link URL. 

Interestingly, I couldn't get the same extensive link editing options in the "normal" PDF, not that I wanted to.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't attach "Edit Link.jpg"...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, try67; here it is. Sorry for the appearance; I had to photograph the page with my phone.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not look like a PDF file in Acrobat...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++  Adding to the discussion

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/links-attachments-pdfs.html and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, Amal; lots of information there. Unfortunately, the only type of editing that can be done to the link text is changing its color, line thickness, and line color. Editing or comments don't seem to work as they do on regular text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're editing the link, not the text. They are completely separate from each other.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm beginning to realize that. I was just wondering whether I could edit the text without affecting the link.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amal, but those instructions are mainly to change the URL behind the link, change the action of the link (have it open a file, open the Search tool, etc.), or change the appearance of the link text (put a box around it or change its color if it's clicked). The instructions don't say how to change the wording of the link text or its spelling. For example, if the link text says "Click here to opn Google" and you want to change "opn" to "open", those instructions don't say how to do that.

However, I think my problem may not occur in a "normal" PDF document. I'm able to edit link text in another PDF; just not in the one I'm working with now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would you mind sharing the PDF file in question with us so that we can check it at our end?

Alternatively, you may try to remove the link and then create a new link with the corrections.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd really like to share the problem file, but it's proprietary to my employer and would violate my non-disclosure agreement.

I could try to delete the link and link text and then reinstate them with the correct text, but that would be more trouble than simply adding a sticky note for my supervisor. He would then make the correction in the source XML file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines