• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested Alternate Text — Link in a table cell

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with table cells that have links to other document sections. The file passes PAC 3 checks, but fails the Acrobat check with Nested Alternate Text. Is there a way to keep the link (would be very useful to readers in this large document) and pass the checker?

This is an example table cell. Section 3.2.1 is a hyperlink to the section with alternate text noting the section name.

Image_20.jpg

Associated tags:

Image_19.jpg

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your use of <Link> and <Link - OBJR> in a table <TD> cell is valid. I believe the Acrobat checker is in error here.

I hope an Adobe accessibility engineer will chime in on this post, but in the meantime, I'd ignore the error in Acrobat checker and go with the PAC3 report.

I encourage you to log this as a bug at https://acrobat.uservoice.com/   so that the programming team can address it.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link—I have posted to that log.

I didn't see why this would be flagged by the checker for that reason, but thought I was misunderstanding nesting or the protocols.

Hopefully the checker was in error and the links can be read and followed. The document is a couple hundred pages of dense material in a complex structure and the links would be very helpful to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test of various hyperlinks in a table and it passed the Acrobat checker.

So that we can help diagnose the problem can you give us the following:

• Version of Acrobat Pro you're using to check the PDF (need the "build" number, such as 2019.010.20098 which is the latest release). You'll find this under Help / About Adobe Acrobat Pro.
  • Version of PDFMaker that was used to export the PDF from MS Word. You'll find this in the PDF itself under File / Properties / Description tab. Look for Application and PDF Producer.
    PDF Version.png
  • If you used InDesign or another program to create the source document instead of Word, give us its version, too.
  • And if you used another product other than an Adobe-branded PDF maker utility, please give us that info.
|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My info is below. I initially create the pdf with Word 365's native pdf maker, then remediate with Acrobat Pro DC. (Much better results than using Acrobat's plug-in).

The Acrobat checker flag only occurs when I put the alternate text for the links within table cells. My understanding is that all links should have alternate text descriptions, but perhaps this is incorrect?

Image_21.jpg

Image_22.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Posting for the benefit of others]

Be sure to check for alt text on your table. I've found default alt text placed on some styled tables, usually something like "An example of a basic three-column table with a heading row and horizontal borders between the rows." I'm not sure how it gets there, but it will cause a nested alternate text failure when the table cells contain links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you jubie.  I could not figure out how to fix it and it was because the table had alt text.  Once I removed the table alt text, the error disappeared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines