Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New PDFs not showing thumbnails anymore

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For a few days, newly downloaded/copied PDFs don't show a thumbnail preview anymore. The weird thing, however, is that older PDFs still do. There is a cutoff date from a few days ago; older ones have a preview, newer ones don't. But no idea what happened there, probably some update.

These things have NOT helped:
- Enable preview in Adobe Reader settings
- Use Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails

Can anyone advise what else to do?

Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, the new PDFs don't show a thumbnail preview anymore. However, the older PDFs still do.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer.

As you have tried to enable preview in Adobe Reader preference settings with no luck. Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that works for you.

Also you may try to clear the thumbnail cache of Windows OS and reboot the computer to let the system rebuild them and see if that helps.

1. Click Start, type Disk Cleanup, click Disk Cleanup.
  2. Select the Operating System drive letter (usually C:\) from the drop-down, and click OK.
  3. Uncheck all the entries except Thumbnails
  4. Click OK, and click Delete Files to confirm
  5. After the cleanup is complete, logoff and login back for the change to take effect.

Let us know if you experience any trouble or need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed.

Yes that version. Pro DC

As you have tried to enable preview in Adobe Reader preference settings with no luck. Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that works for you.

It didn't work

Also you may try to clear the thumbnail cache of Windows OS and reboot the computer to let the system rebuild them and see if that helps.

Yeah, this one killed all of my pdf thumbnails lol.

But it's okay, there's nobody to blame but me. I totally knew this would happen and still did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, there's been a new development: I found out that the thumbnail appears if I place the pdf in the recycle bin. Wtf? So in the recycle bin, thumbnails are visible, but in the explorer/desktop not. And if I put a pdf in the bin and then back to the desktop, it remains visible. So that's a workaround, but can't be a permanent solution.

That's just messed up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry tio hear that. Please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Windows and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue sine latest update last week (2021.007.20099) and thumbnails visible in Recycle Bin. Please solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear I'm not the only one. But is it really due to the update? I tried to uninstall it and use an old version (from 2013 or so), the problem remained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you tried using the application in the new tet user profile as suggested earlier.

Also, please try to reset the Acrobat prefrences as described here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've tested as a new user. The result: No thumbnail at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please share the version of the OS you are using. Also please collect the required logs as  described below:

Adobe CC logs: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

Procmon Logs (Win Only) : https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html

and share the logs via Document cloud https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html to isolate the issue for the fix

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem except thumbnails are not visible even in the Recycle Bin. I have tried every solution posted above and  almost anywhere else on the web. Please keep me apprised when this anomaly is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected: the Recycle Bin work around does work but I would prefer not to have to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At last, version 22.003.20322 has corrected the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines