• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Program wanted

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 to do my work, I take pdf's on family records and highlite, cut, delete and highlite, move and drop in place, then highlite cut and save to jpeg, tiff or png.

The problem, when I import to PSE the quality of the pdf is greatly reduced.

What program would keep the quality and still alow me to do my cut and paste. seconly can you take a read only PDF and make it read illegible writing that is not very human eye readable.

Thank you

Des

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Hi @Desmond3590442172ux,

There are some concerns in your post that should be looked at before you decide:

1. Software and tools

Photoshop Elements 9 was released in 2010. Since then (24 14 years), a helluva lot of features have been developed by the industry to help with photo color correction, image adjustments, and even creative tools. (Photoshop's content-aware tools can let you remove the flagpole that's behind your mom's head and replace it with realistic generic background. I use this to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Desmond3590442172ux,

There are some concerns in your post that should be looked at before you decide:

1. Software and tools

Photoshop Elements 9 was released in 2010. Since then (24 14 years), a helluva lot of features have been developed by the industry to help with photo color correction, image adjustments, and even creative tools. (Photoshop's content-aware tools can let you remove the flagpole that's behind your mom's head and replace it with realistic generic background. I use this tool nearly every day in my photography and imaging work. But it can also generate a 3rd hand for your mom, too!)

So you might want to look at several other programs on the market that can give you better tools to do what you're already doing, as well as more tools that you never knew you needed. Some of my favorites:

2. File formats

First, avoid the JPG/JPEG format because it is a lossy compression file format. That means it automatically compresses the file's data and degrades the quality of the image each and every time you save the file. Text is pixelated and not machine readable/searchable, colors are degraded, and artifact/halos start to appear around dark/light objects. They look like wavy lines around elements. Do this often enough on a file and you end up with a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox that looks like crud.

To retain the maximum quality, readability/searchability, and usefullness, I suggest using these file formats, especially for long-time storage or archiving of your family's documents: 

• JPG/JPEGs when they are the original camera "negatives" that haven't yet been opened or adjusted in software
  • TIF/TIFF  for photos
  • PNG for other types of graphics
  • PDFs for anything with text
  • PDFs for photos and graphics
  • PDFs for the final archive file that will hold any of the above.

However, there's a critical catch to this: Garbage in = garbage out.

As you work with different file formats, quality can be degraded and text can be lost or made unreadable; you must always use the highest-quality version of the original scan or photo that you can acquire. These guidelines might help:

• Always scan at the highest resolution possible and maximize the number of pixels that are captured. This will create very large files, but they will also contain the detail you need to make them useful.
  • When saving, don't compress the file — especially don't save a JPG/JPEG as noted above.
  • When making PDFs, be sure to check the settings available in the software that is making the PDF. Ensure you're maximizing the resolution.

... secondly can you take a read only PDF and make it read illegible writing that is not very human eye readable.

Thank you

Des

By @Desmond3590442172ux

Can you give us more details about this?

Do you mean take cursive or print handwriting and OCR it? (OCR = optional character recognition https://www.ibm.com/blog/optical-character-recognition/).

If so, I don't know of any software that can do this with handwriting (cursive or print), but if it was available, it might be in Acrobat's OCR (newer versions) and ABBBY Fine Reader.

Good luck with the project. Hope this helps.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who replied to me, to answer you first response all the online file I use and download are 99% PDF, thus family tree requires non pdf files to be installed thus fro my first question as most are text file taken from a pro photo. I haope that explained it better.

The second part  in parts is the same as the first, mostly photo of a text page.

Des

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached a page to let you see what I an ajusting. I will straighten, keep the header, then cut out the data in the main body of the names I do not want, then combine head that the piece I want to key and same as another file.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06272/4796618...

Des

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Des @Desmond3590442172ux,

The page you referenced is a census or registration list from the late 1880s and as expected, is filled in with cursive handwriting.

This is difficult text to OCR (optical character recognition), but there are some software tools that could make some progress for you.  Try Googling for "OCR handwriting" and that should bring up many options for you.

Regardless of the software you choose to use, there are 3 steps:

1. Download a PDF of the census page.
  2. Open the OCR software and have it attempt to interpret the handwriting into text.
  3. Export the result to MS Word or another word processor.

I tried this method with Acrobat DC 2024 and it didn't do a good enough job OCR-ing the handwriting. Here's Adobe's scoop on this https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/hub/can-ocr-recognize-handwriting.html

This has piqued my interest because my brother has been working on our family's geneology for years and I'm sure this could help him, too.

Which reminds me...the family tree websites like Ancestry.com might have developed decent OCR software for this task, given that the topic is their raison d'être.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bevi.. thank you for your time and effort information very helful.

Des

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines