• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nightmare of a Program

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I am currently working on my resume and it is a nightmare. I have never had so many problems with a program and been offered no solution from Adobe employees who are supposed to be experts. And any and all advice online, including here on the forum provide absolutely no additional support. 

Firstly, why is it when you add an annotation, in my case a hyperlink, to a PDF document in Acrobat, are white edges added to the document when printing? I see when I go to print I have the option to print with or without annotations. Anyways, it would be nice to email my resume to a potential employer, so that they can simply click on the link while viewing it on the computer and then print it without having to format it themselves. Do all printers even have this option anyways? It would seem not because I asked two friends of mine to try printing it and it was printed with uneven white edges and no option to print without annotations. 

Secondly, after redoing my resume in InDesign, thinking that would be better, it was exported and almost all of the text had kontor that doesn't show in the program and wasn't formatted that way. How is that possible? Why is kontor being added to my text? And why does it NOT show in Acrobat or InDesign, but show when viewed as a finished PDF file. Ridiculous. 

I find it actually obsene that people are charged premium price for a non-premium product with so many bugs no one seems to know how to fix. 

Thanks Adobe for making life harder for your customers even though you claim to be a premium service. 

That is all. And I can't say I expect a concrete solution to this issue as Adobe has proved to be highly incompent and unreliable. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's a lot to unpack here...

1. Acrobat is not a word processor. You should format your resume in Word or InDesign.

2. Regarding "any and all advice online, including here on the forums...".  I checked your profile and this is the first time you've posted in over a year. We experts who help people on these forums are volunteers. We're more than happy to help... if people ask us for help.

2. Regarding the white border on your resume, until you have a printer than can print to the edge, all documents will have a white border. You may want to try setting your document print setting to "Do Not Scale." Perhaps post a picture of the document printed with the white boarder you're speaking of.. as well as another document printed without that white border.

3. Why would a potential employer have to format your resume? What does formatting a document have to do with printing it?

4. What program were you friends using to print the document? Different PDF readers have different print settings. We have no way of knowing what options "all printers" have.

5. What is "kontor"? I'm never heard of that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually formatted my resume in Illustrator which I also did last year and had none of these issues. And Acrobat is programmed to edit text in pdfs.

I also was not referring to the volunteers here, rather the Adobe company and "experts" online who help remotely. I also couldn't find a forum or question here regarding this specific problem. Or online in general. 

I will clarify again - when I try printing out the PDF, there is an option to print with or without annotations. When I print with annotations a white border is printed. When I print without annotations, there are no white borders, but the link is removed. Again, I don't understand why adding a hyperlink does this. Every printer I tried, including my friends, can print edge to edge. It doesn't have anything to do with scaling. 

A potential employer would format the resume in print options to print it as desired. But not all printers are the same. Therefore, my resume could be printed with an uneven white border because that option isn't available to print without annotations. And that simply doesn't look professional. I don't see what it has to do with all other printers, rather why adding a hyperlink to a selected area of a PDF results in an annotation that causes white edges to be printed around the PDF document. 

And I meant an outline or contour to font. As stated, the document in InDesign and in Adobe Acrobat have no outline or contour but when its exported as a PDF or saved, then viewed in email or in an internet browser, almost all of the text have a thin black outline or contour around the text. I have never had this issue and don't think it's a question of browser, be it MAC or PC. 

I am just not optimistic there is an easy solution as it seems like a problem with the Adobe software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you have annotations in a resume? 

A hydperlink is not an annotation. It is a type of interactive element.

Most printers do not print edge to edge. If you are concerned that your potential employer might print the resume on an edge to edge printer, and that the prescense of a hyperlink on the page might make it print with white borders, I honestly think that's a bit of a stretch. You're assuming:

1. The potential employer will print your resume.

2. That the potential employer has an edge to edge printer (most people don't).

3. That your reusme is important enough to him (or her) that it's important enough that it's not just printed, but that it's printed edge to edge.

4. That if it doesn't print edge to edge, that will look unprofessional.

I realize that your primary question was about the interaction between the prescense of a hyperlink and how tha affects printing options, but honestly, if the prescense of a white border aroud your documnt really bothers you, why not design the border to have a white border? This is how most resumes and office documents are anyway. If the edge-to-edge printing is really that important to you, why not print out yourself(with your edge to edge printer) and hand deliver it? It'll make an impression and they surely won't forget you, becuase I can just about guarantee than no other applicatnts will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do not respond to this thread unless you have a technical insight or solution into the problem described thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines