• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No PDF file was created because Acrobat encountered an unidentified error.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2010 Jan 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Product:

Adobe Acrobat 8

Windows XP SP3

Problem:

when user try to combine multiple PDF files into one file from network drives (hence that user have full permissions), received this error:

"Error (file skipped)
No PDF file was created because Acrobat encountered an unidentified error."

Steps taken so far:

- cleared windows temp files
- cleared acrobat temp files
- tried, same error
- ran acrobat repair, tried it out, same error
- made adjustments to "PDF Printer Properties per this article 
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Document_Imaging/Adobe_Acrobat/Q_23903725.html
- tried again, no luck.
- removed adobe acrobat and reinstalled it completely from scratch.
- ran updates
- tried again, no luck.
- granted the user full permission access to acrobat folder under program files, still same error
- then, copied files that I need to convert locally to the system and tried to combine them, it worked!
- its not permission issue as I tried the same from my domain admin account and received the error.

- also the user reported that acrobat takes 15 o 20 sec each time opening a file

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work on local files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, it works just fine in local files, or files copied to local from network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2010 Jan 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just answered your question. Acrobat has problems with storage to network drives at times and it looks like you ran into the problem. The simple solution is almost always to work on local files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for tip, is there a release note or a documentation somewhere from adobe stating the problems over networkstorage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, but I can not point to it. I have just listened to all of the stories about network drive problems for years and the typical solution is to store locally and copy. I think it may be related to particular network drive systems, but I am not sure. Network drives seem to work fine for others, so their is either a setup issue or a drive system issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have experienced the same error when combining pdf files on a network drive.

It transpired that the file path length was causing an issue, hence moving them to a local drive worked by shortening the file path.

We were then able to redefine the file path to a length that no longer produced this error, off the top of my head I can’t remember what that length was.

May be worth a look...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In replies all text above this line is added to the ticket ##

Request received: No PDF file was created because Acrobat encountered an unidentified error. (#22037)

Thanks for your email.

For after hours support or anything urgent please contact us by phone at 650-223-1170.

To add additional comments to the ticket, just respond to this email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change the properties to open as administrator, within the program I can combine pdfs over the network drive.

.  I can't drag and drop or combine pdfs from windows explorer and everytime I open acrobat it asks if it can make changes.

So it's still best to copy to c drive in order to use Combine and Portfolio features but would be really nice to use as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Request received: No PDF file was created because Acrobat encountered an unidentified error. (#26783)

Thanks for your email.

For after hours support or anything urgent please contact us by phone at 650-223-1170.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a very simalar issue with the same error message when i try to combine files.

However , unlike the issue in the threads mine happens even the when the files are saved locally ( files copied to the desktop). 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to work over the network if you change the program properties to run in compatibility mode for

the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Request received: No PDF file was created because Acrobat encountered an unidentified error. (#26815)

Thanks for your email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a very simalar issue with the same error message when i try to combine files.

However , unlike the issue in the threads mine happens even the when the files are saved locally ( files copied to the desktop). 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, have you found a soultion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Steve28338834zjsl ,

With your PDF opened in Adobe Acrobat, go to File => Properties.

The Document Properties dialog window will open up next.

There are three tabs of interest in that dialog window:

• Description tab - please identify the "PDF Producer" and "PDF Version"
  • Security tab - see in the "Document Restrictions Summary";  what items are not allowed (if any)
  • Fonts tab - can you spot which font types have "Encoding : Custom" and which are  identified as "(Embedded)" or "(Embedded Subset)"

Screenshot will be helpful.

And also state what type of files are you combining and which method to combine these files did  you employed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up setting the user up with a desktop shortcut to the adobe web app. The combine files function works through the web app, even with sharepoint sites synced to file explorer. She is just as happy to use that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a user that is getting the error whether it is a document from One Drive or from the local machine.  I've done an uninstall and reinstall twice.  We are using Windows 10 with Adobe Pro version 23.006.20380 Revision 13.  I've tried a couple of different solutions that I have read and they have not worked.  I was having the same issue on my laptop, but when I went to use local files instead of those on One Drive, I was able to create a PDF file.  My customer is still unable to create a combined file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines