Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Not all text copied from Adobe PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create recipe PDFs from an online programme, but have noticed that when you try and select all the text (ie by pressing Ctrl+A), some of the text doesn't copy - namely the quantities in the ingredients and the headings in the notes. Please see the example attached. It's always the same content that doesn't copy. Does anyone know why this would be and is there something I can do to be able to copy it all?

Thanks so much for any advice.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply stated, PDF documents do not work like "regular" documents.

You might try dragging across the text and see if you get what you want that way but not seeing the original documents I can't promise any success. The catch is that a PDF is often created with layers and if the item you want is not on the same layer, it may not be accessible in all "normal" means.

I'm going to guess that you do not own either Acrobat Standard DC or Acrobat Pro DC and are using Acrobat Reader DC. If you do have either of them you can Export to Word and that will give you everything.

I do have two suggestion for you to try: some websites provide a link to create a PDF page you are looking at which gives you a very nice clean PDF. If you want the text more than the layout, you can also go to your Print page and you should see an option to Save as PDF. See if that works.

Alternatley, go to the website "PrintFriendly.com" and install their software (free) on your computer and see what that provides. FWIW, I often use PrintFriendly becuase it gives me the most control on what will end up on my PDF (one can manually delete objects and text on the page prior to the final PDF's generation. See if that works.

Let me know if either of these work.

Alternatively, you can just have a collection of recipe PDFs like my wife and I do!     8>)

I just did an experiemnt on an alternate approach

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All the bold text in this file is not real text, but a graphic element (an image), so it can't be copied like the rest of the text in the file. This is the fault of the application that created the file. If you have Acrobat you can re-create it by exporting the pages as images, creating a new PDF from those images and then running Text Recognition (OCR) on it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines