Exit

OCR = edit text and images causes garbage in PDF doc

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OCR = edit text and images causes garbage in PDF doc

Hope you can help.

After scanning a document into a PDF file, I see that it contains info that I need to update. So, I run EDIT document.

The result is that several images are turned into symbols (@), or images are overlaid with symbols (@).

I've tried every thing I could find in support and community, but cannot get a clean conversion!

Arthur23663084t2ne_0-1647728113951.jpeg

Arthur23663084t2ne_1-1647728113949.jpeg

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer first and then try again.

Also, go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Page Display > under Rendering, Select 'Use Local Font' > Click OK and reboot the computer once and check if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

Thanks for your response. 

I checked the setings you recommended. They were already set as you stated.

Then I did a different page. 

I've attached sample pages that show the progression - steps - taken that replicate the problem. 

Point of information: Pages with a mix of images that were draw, combined with lines and text are when the problem occurs. But, drawn images alone are not a problem, and most pages of text only are not a problem. 

Yet, older text only pages do have many errors when scanned and made editable. xample 2 is a good representation of this. It is a mix of text types.

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Would you mind sharing the steps you did to create these PDF files? A small video recording of the same would be very helpful.

It seems to be a font issue, as if the required font is not properly embedded into the PDF file or it is not present on your computer or you may not have the rights to use the required font.

A font can be embedded only if it contains a setting by the font vendor that permits it to be embedded. For more information about the font embedding please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-fonts.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

It was a simple process. I thought I made it clear in the titles of the images. Now I see that I failed to show them in the right order.
Here is what I did.
After I checked and found that my settings were the ones you recommended, 
  1. From Acrobat DC I selected "Create PDF"
  2. From Scanner.
  3. Scanned a page of mixed line drawings and text to create a PDF file. Got a perfect doc.
  4. Selected "Edit PDF".
  5. Waited while "Make Editable" ran.
  6. PDF of line drawings + text now had errors.
  7. Repeated steps 1 through 3.
  8. Selected Scan and OCR
  9. Got the same error filled result.
My question is: what other settings can I check/fix? Or what other sequence of steps can I use?

Let me know if you need more from me.

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arthur

Thanks for sharing the details. It seems to be a document-specific issue, please share the source file as well as the resultant PDF file so that we can try to check it at our end.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, 

Sorry to say it, but the same problem exists with a lot of pages, not just this one. And I have Books and Books of pages that are just like the ones I sent you.

Here are just 2 examples.

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We have raised this issue to our engineering team for review, we will share the update as soon as we get any news from them.

Thanks for your time and patience

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When might we hear back from the engineering team?

I need a way to do this work, so of course I am anxious.

Any feedback would help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

I am sorry to keep you waiting, we haven't heard anything from the engineering team, as they are still working on it.

I will share the update as soon as we get any news from them

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines