• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On macOS, After Distillation, the System Built-in Features (Look-Up) are Crippled.

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fed Distiller a PostScript file exported from a PDF made by Apple. I aimed to get a new PDF to work with using Apple Preview. I set the compatibility to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). The PS file and job settings are attached.

Job options | Backblaze 

The PostScript file | BackBlaze 

In Apple Preview, the words and expressions Look-up function became wonky. Summoning it via the context menu and 3-finger-tap, a usual Mac way, resulted in the message "results not found", something that's out of the way in the Mac experience. See the linked video.

Crippled PDF (video) | Streamable 

I perused the fonts of the original Apple PDF in Acrobat and compared them against the distilled one. I noticed that the former had type 1 fonts, while the latter had type 1 and CID. The Type 1 and CID fonts were duplicates. That's just a casual observation, and whether this fact added to the problem I don't know.

All fonts in the two documents were embedded.

The input data of the original Apple-produced PDF:

Adobe PDF Library 9.9/Adobe InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)

What could be the culprit?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?