• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening .pdx catalog index from within a Web browser (IE, Edge) – challenge June 2022

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I have created a .pdx catalog index for thousands of files, placed the entire collection of PDF documents online, instructed users to open the collection in Internet Explorer (IE), and from there they could navigate through the collection of documents and also click on the link to .pdx search index, which would open a stand-alone version of Reader and its accompanying search pane. With IE scheduled to be decommissioned in June 2022, I am looking for an alternative way to open the .pdx index while in a Web browser. When I try Edge with IE legacy mode turned on, this regularly crashes Edge. Other browsers (Chrome, Firefox) don't open PDFs while in a Web browser, therefore it seems that Edge is my best hope. Any suggestions from this community? Thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I have been running a site for years with many hundreds of PDFs which are index catalogued so that users can click on a link to open the PDX file, which launches the search facility in a new PDF window. This works perfectly in IE, but as soon as I try to run the same link in Edge (not in IE compatibility mode), Acrobat opens but reports that the index has a problem and needs to be rebuilt. Why does it work perfectly in IE,  but in Edge only in IE compatilbility mode? Is there any way to get this working properly and are Adobe aware of this issue? I know I am planning ahead here, but Microsoft mention that IE compatability mode in Edge will only be available until at least 2029, what do we do after this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Andy2490544001d8I should have added that in my experience Edge crashes / shuits down if only one tab is open. If more than one tab is open in Edge, the tab with the .pdx link will close while the other ones will remain open, regardless of whether or IE mode is activated or not. Judging by the lack of response on this thread, it would appear that there is no available solution. Good luck with your PDF collection!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines