• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages rotated with fixups revert to pre-fixup orientation when PDF saved/closed/re-opened

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two fixups that rotate pages, based on size and orientation. After running the fixups and confirming that all pages have been rotated correctly, I save the PDF.

When I close and re-open the PDF, all of the rotated pages are back to their prior, incorrect orientation; this seems especially odd to me because I saved the file with the pages correctly oriented.

How can I make the fixups permanent?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Your action did indeed create a file that unless you Save AS to a new name or overwrite the old one, a simple Save didn't do it. Whether that's a bug or not, I'm not sure, but it's worth reporting.

In the meantime, your Action didn't have a Save at the end.. if you add that to the bottom of your Action, it will work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact commands did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Rotate pages to landscape if portrait (set to rotate only 11x17 pages), and Rotate pages to portrait if landscape (set to rotate only 8.5x11 pages).

If it matters, I'm using an action to run them both.

Also, to be clear, once the the fixups are applied, everything looks correct, and the Save icon becomes available, so I'm positive I'm saving the file before I close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. It worked fine for me on a test file.

What were the details to the action you were using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, roaringmousegraphics and JR, for responding to my post.

I've attached a scrubbed version of the file. Looks like I can't attach fixups and actions, so I've put them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GunQ8L-rY62kWgVjoX8tfTVAUxzRO9Mi?usp=sharing

A couple observations from this morning:

• When I run the action on the file and then get an active Save icon, after I click it and close the file, the Date Modified does not change in Win File Explorer. In other words, clicking Save isn't...saving.
  • I do not get a SaveAs prompt when I run the action.
  • When I run a single fixup via Preflight, I DO get a SaveAs prompt, and the fixup is successful; however, this isn't a satisfactory work-around: I need to have users be able to run a whole host of fixups, almost all of which have to do with either rotating or resizing; my understanding is that this is what an action will allow me to do.

I have read Adobe's online documentation about fixups, but perhaps I missed something; however, the fact that I'm presented with a live Save icon post-action, but clicking it does not actually save the file suggests something else is afoot.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your action did indeed create a file that unless you Save AS to a new name or overwrite the old one, a simple Save didn't do it. Whether that's a bug or not, I'm not sure, but it's worth reporting.

In the meantime, your Action didn't have a Save at the end.. if you add that to the bottom of your Action, it will work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked! Thank you!

It may not be a bug, in the sense that that behavior is perhaps how Adobe expected it, but from a UI perspective, I'd say it definitely is: Having a clickable Save icon that doesn't actually save is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines