• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Passwords that were never set..!

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I have just attempted to open an Adobe file on my PC and it is asking for a password. These are documents I have had for years (in some cases) and I have never added a password to any of them. Since updating adobe it appears these Adobe documents are asking for something they never had and I have certainly never given them. I cannot produce a password I never created.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it's asking for the password to the document and not just trying to log you into the Document Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

Sadly no, upon attempting to open any of my PDF's I get a password box, stating the document name and the following: 'X'.pdf is protected. Please enter a document open password'.

This is the first instance of using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC since the upgrade in November. This problem brought me to the website to open an Adobe account today to look for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really odd. Can you share one of them? Does this happen to new files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

Again thanks for the response.

Well this morning I decided to take drastic action and removed Adobe Reader DC from my PC. I then re-installed it afresh and for no logical reason my files are now accessable, the password issue has vanished.

This (obviously) makes no sense whatsoever, in real terms all I've done is remove and re-instate like for like. Maybe it makes sense to someone, but not me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update but honestly, that makes me even more concerned. Tell me you have a virus scanner on your machine and that it's running?

I'm glad your files weren't actually rewritten.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have a fully paid-up, fully running, fully working subscription to VIPRE and it hasn't failed me yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - Gremlins then

Again... Glad it's working.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issues. I am trying to modify an important business contract. I did not "finish" or set protection for the contract prior to saving as it was not complete. Now we have to draw up a new contract from stratch because I (as the contract owner) am locked out of a document that I did not even set a password for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you signed it before it was finished. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe similar to mine, suddenly any PDF I open it is a 2017 file, so litterly it is replacing most of my pdf's with an old file.  Scanned machine twice and have no virus.  I ran the repair tool and still have the issue.  I just ran HR block to resave my files since they were overwritten with the 2017 file and it was the same 2017 file.  So maybe yours was replaced with one of your locked files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines