pdf alternatives for iPad

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is yet another question regarding interactive pdfs not working on iPads. I did not know when I included a clickable map with show/hide buttons, that it would not work on iPads. As I searched to find a solution, I was amazed to see discussion on this topic going back nearly a decade, always saying it was on the wish list as a new feature. I suspect after a decade, there really is no one working to fix this. So my question is: what alternatives have you found? I need the file to functional across all devices but it doesn't need to be a pdf. What would you recommend for a truly Portable Document Format. Thank you.

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A web page or web app. Responsive (adapts to any screen if set up well), fully interactive (even complex games can be embedded), support for almost any media, including 3d, video, sound, etc.. Also very easy to share. Add a service worker, and it will work offline too, and automatically update the content when a new version is released.

PDF is not the right document format for most interactive work. It never was. And many users no longer read pdfs with the Adobe Reader: which makes it even less attractive for interactive work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a long call with the Adobe Support Team it is clear they are confused that actions on buttons do not work on all devices. In their view (regardless of what is posted on the support community forums), the functoinality should work on all platforms as long as they are opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader. The good folks at Adobe are currently looking at the issue for me on a PDF that did work in the Reader version 18 for iOS, but does not work in version 22. As of today, April 9, 2022 some button actions seem to work on iOS and some don't. I am having better luck with custome JavaScripts. Hiding and showing fields and layers (absolute neccesity for and interactive PDF) that is not working. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines