• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file has overlapping charactres

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an enterprise application that generates reports and one option is to export the report to PDF. The resulting PDFs, when viewed in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC sometimes have overlapping characters. Any ideas on what causes this and how to resolve it?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

There are several possibilities here:

(1)     The program that generated the PDF file did not embed the fonts referenced by the text in the PDF file. As such, especially if fonts other than Helvetica, Times, Arial, Courier, etc. are used, the substitution fonts may not be able to adequately emulate the original font.

(2)     In conjunction with (1) above, if the PDF creation software didn't properly generate font information for the non-embedded fonts, the widths and spacings used when substitutin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several possibilities here:

(1)     The program that generated the PDF file did not embed the fonts referenced by the text in the PDF file. As such, especially if fonts other than Helvetica, Times, Arial, Courier, etc. are used, the substitution fonts may not be able to adequately emulate the original font.

(2)     In conjunction with (1) above, if the PDF creation software didn't properly generate font information for the non-embedded fonts, the widths and spacings used when substituting fonts may be very “off” from what is visually pleasing or correct.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov,

Is there an easy fix to view such documents ?

I've downloaded an eBook and it's hard to read it due to this issue.

Can a font change in Adobe Reader help in this case? is there a way to force Adobe Reader to regenerate it properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm  having problems with letters overlapping when I open a file in Adobe reader. Please is there a fix for that.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide more information, and possibly a sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Here is a sample image. All the users is the company show overlapping letters when opened with Adobe. When they open the file in Edge it shows fine.

Let me know what kind of information you will need.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share the actual file with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.

Please see some of the letters are overlapped

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how Excel created it. If you have the original file try converting it to PDF using the PDFMaker plugin of Acrobat, instead of using Excel's internal function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Can you show me how to convert it using the Acrobat PDF plug in?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Acrobat ribbon in Excel and click on Create PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just wanted to ask you if converting the file to PDF with Acrobat PDFmaker add-in worked for you(?) - were you able to produce a PDF without any overlapping characters?

I'm having a similar issue when exporting / creating PDF from .docx 

I have fonts embedded in "preferences" & I'm using the addin but I have no idea why this is happening (some characters are overlapping, some spaces between characters are not displayed properly). The doc is pretty long (150+ pages) and this issue occurs only in some parts of the document (Arial font used).

Maybe anyone else could have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, please ignore my question above. I think I just had to describe my problem ("say it outloud") to find the solution. I played with Acrobat PDFMaker settings and now everything works fine. 🙂

Maybe disabling/enabling the addin helped. I don't know. I'm just glad that it works. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

Does anyone still have similar problems? (Some time ago, I wrote the problem was solved, but it turned out that it was not for too long...)

-> I'm still having trouble producing a PDF with Acrobat plugin >> (with all fonts embedded)

-> Funny thing is that the problem didn't exist when someone else used the same file to create PDF (on a different computer).

I attached screenshots to show what many words look like in the PDF I'm creating (using different methods, i.e. Acrobat ribbon, Export, Save as Adobe PDF...) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines