• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf file metadata

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of InDesign newsletter (INDD) files and their corresponding PDFs that go back several years. Unfortunately, it appears that when they were copied and shared with my by a previous editor, the original file creation and modification dates were lost. When I look at properties and also via the Macintosh Finder GetInfo windows, all I see is the same date for all the files (apparently the date they were copied).

My question: Is there metadata stored deep inside either INDD or PDF files that will reveal their actual original creation dates, as well as edi/tchange history (activity dates) as they were worked on? I'm trying to build a timeline. Please help.

TIA

-Don

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*(reposted w/typos fixed):

I'm trying to build a timeline of newsletter work history. Please help.

I have a series of files (InDesign INDDs and their corresponding PDFs) that go back several years.

Unfortunately, it appears that when they were copied and shared with me by a previous editor, the original file creation and modification dates were lost. When I look at properties from within InDesign and Acrobat and also via Macintosh Finder GetInfo, all I see is the same date for all the files (apparently the date they were copied).

My question: Is there metadata stored deep inside either INDD or PDF files that will reveal their actual original creation dates, as well as edit/change history (activity dates) as they were worked on?

TIA

-Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the file in Adobe Acrobat and look at the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer is no for PDF files.

If you redo new PDFs from the INDD files, you can keep the creation date but the modification date will be today's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies, Bernd & JR.

Rethinking this situation, since for me, PDFs are generally created as a final output and not edited later, it appears my focus should really be on InDesign metadata to find the creation history I'm trying to pull together. So, I dug in that direction and found each INDD file appears to have am embedded XMP data file.

I chose one of our newsletters, published in the Fall of 2016, as a case study. I was able to use Excel's Get Data function to bring that particular XMP file in for review.

Interestingly, I found this particular newsletter's XMP file has 114 entries exactly like this:

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">
<stEvt:action>saved</stEvt:action>
<stEvt:instanceID>xmp.iid:FD7F11740720681180839C328B58F80D</stEvt:instanceID>
<stEvt:when>2015-04-10T14:44:44-06:00</stEvt:when>
<stEvt:softwareAgent>Adobe InDesign 7.0</stEvt:softwareAgent>
<stEvt:changed>/

The only difference is the 'when' (date) line. The 114 dates include multiple entries for each date, beginning 2015-04-07 and ending 2016-12-13. Unfortunately these data are not especially useful to me in my quest. I assume this newsletter's first apparent save was more than a full year before publication and the last was months after publication because the editor opened a prior newsletter INDD file as a template and opened months after publication to tweak something for later PDF creation.

I thought I'd post this FYI, just in case either of you have further thoughts or if another Adobe expert should like to chime in to help me with my effort.

-Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In InDesign you can see  the file metadata under: File menu : Informations.

You can also see some hidden metadata using this tip: https://creativepro.com/accessing-document-history/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines