• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF form not allowing me to add signature field.

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf form that I am creating and it will not allow me to add a signature field. It pops up with "the author of this form has specified the fields which you can fill.  Click on any field to stat filling form."

I have created these forms before and added signatures with no problem.  This form already has a signature block but I need to add a second one, which I have done before.  Any help is appreciated.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

I was pulling my hair out over this but then figured out you can use digital ID to sign documents without author allocated space in a document:

First watch this video:

How to Create a Digital Signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - YouTube

Then:

1. Open the pdf document in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
2. Navigate to Tools > Certificates
3. Select ‘digitally sign’.
4. Drag box in the area you wish to sign; Note: it will automatically fill the entire box so make it large enough.
5. Select your signature.
6. E

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using a cert is a way around the fill and sign signature not working (as of 9/2022) this still is an issue.

The quick way to sign a document (fill and sign) is the method most of the common users out there rely on and should be addressed, I haven't found any definitive information if this issues is caused by a bug or something to do with an A/V program blocking pop ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG I cannot thank you enough for this solution. I have been smashing my head against my desk for the better part of year with this issue. Thank you thank you thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

This is the solution to my problem.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked perfectly. Thank you very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I follow the steps you recommend, Adobe shows a popup saying it does not support this feature:"

This is by design in all Adobe software for Mac, since MacOS PDF Services can only produce low-quality PDF 1.4 files, and since Apple has prohibited the installation/use of any other virtual printer.

As you can see in your screenshot it is not "Adobe", the name of your software is "Acrobat Reader".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround that worked for me.
On a Windows machine

1. First Print that form as a pdf {When the print option is up, in the "printer" option select "Microsoft Print to PDF" then print it.}.

2. Open this new pdf and click the fill & sign option.

Now you should have the cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"1. First Print that form as a pdf…"

This invalidates any existing digital signature, it is not a correct process.

It is not an image which makes the validity of a digital signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

took me a while, but I found your issue and finally solved it.
Turns out for Adobe Reader (and maybe other Adobe products) there is a difference between a Signature and a Certificate!

HcbP2Yt

We've all been using "Fill & Sign" when we could (sould?) be using Certificates.

Fill and Sign let's you 'sign' a document by either typing your name in a funky font or draw a squigly line using mouse or track pad.

Using Certificates, you get you this:

lZOxemB

which is what I needed.

Hope this helps everyone on this thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that was it! Thank you for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep this is it!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Mac and cannot add a PDF Printer, which is me, then you need to open the PDF OUTSIDE OF ADOBE:  just right click on the protected document > open with > select Chrome.  Once you have the PDF viewer in Chrome, then select Print > print to PDF.  it will save it without the signature protections.    Took me forever to figure this out.  C'mon Adobe.  you can do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! This is the only solution that works for me!! I registered my adobe support community account just to like this answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with the complaints - Adobe somehow has managed to take something that should be extremely simple and make it an awful experience. If you have a PDF that you need to both sign and date, it is essentially impossible. There's just no way to add a date. Nor is there any way to change your signature nowadays, which is how I worked around this issue before (making a second signature that was just a date and then inserting it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A digital signature automatically includes the exact date and time when you apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... yet another evidence that Adobe's software quality is pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was losing my mind trying to figure out how to get a signature on my document - incredulous that it wasn't easier! I clicked, I searched, I cursed. I briefly considered violence...Shouldn't this be zip, zap, done??

I did what you said and it worked perfectly, I'm genuinely grateful. 🙂

And, to second the other poster: COME ON ADOBE! WHY ISN'T THIS MORE STRAIGHTFORWARD?? You have to click print, even though you don't want to print it, and then save it, and open it and then.....Bookmarking this page for the next time I break out in hives from tech-unfriendliness...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was also driving me crazy.

A simple solution to this is to open the document in Microsoft Edge and use draw feature to sign the PDF using mouse or trackpad.sign.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines