Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

pdf - > excel failures again

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bank statement in pdf, simple outlay, date, payee, amount balance etc.

I use adoble dc cloud to read the pdf and convert to excell.  On the screen the excell looks fine, but once downloaded to my drive and read in with openoffice each cell has multiple copies of the data in the payee field,

12/12/2020 netflix.com netflix.com netflix.com  10 (balance)

I need a clean excel to be able to write out a clean csv for my accounting software to read (quicken etc).

I just started this process with my bank and its pdf's so I have no clue what is going on.  Each pdf -> excell converter seems to have its own problems, from total gabage to who knows what.

Please help me,

Homer W Smith, CEO Lightlink Internet

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using OpenOffice Calc to read an PDF that was converted to MS Excel format .xls?

Do you get the same results if you open the same file with Micrososft Excel rather than OpenOffice Calc?

In any case, you  need to verify if OpenOffice Calc is defaulting to the .ods spreadsheet format instead of .xls for MS Excel when you try to view it.

Go to "Tools" --->>>"Options", and scroll down to the section "Load/Save".

There are three subsections of interest:

• General
  • VBA Properties
  • Microsoft Office

In "General", see the dropdown menu to the the right labeled: "Document type" --->>> select "Spreadsheet" and to the right of this dropdown, another dropdown menu labeled "Always save as"; select "OpenOffice.org XML 1.0 Spreadsheet".

Then click on "VBA Properties" and see to the right "Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP"; tick the checkboxes below:

• Load Basic code
  • Executable code
  • Save original Basic code

Next, click on "Microsoft Office" and make sure to tick both of the checkoxes  provided to the right under the columns "[L]" (for load and convert the object)  and "[S]" (for convert and save the object) respectively:

• "Excel to OpenOffice Calc or reverse".

Click OK to save these preferences and exit the "Options" dialogue window.

Try and see if you see the same garbage this time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the bank offers a transactions summary in PDF, there should also be one in .xls or .csv format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PDF just wasn't made for this. Each Excel converter does its best to convert straw to gold, but really, you are starting with junk. Indeed, see if the bank offer a proper export format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines