Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf icons on desktop turn into black squares

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

im using Windows 10 home and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on my Thinkpad X1 carbon. Since i bought this laptop, the icons of pdf files on desktop have turned into black squares (see picture). This problem is solved temporarily by refreshing the desktop, but it happens again when I restart the laptop. Can anyone fix it? Thanks

Screenshot 2017-08-07 16.24.03.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

I had the same issue. Found a solution.

If you check "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" in Adobe Reader DC (latest version at the time of writing) and you put a PDF on the desktop, the thumbnail should only show the representation of your PDF (left) and not PDF on a white background (right).

PDF on desktop.PNG

If it shows the PDF on a white square background, chances are it will turn black on you.

PCW10 black.jpg

I did the following.

1 - Start Adobe Reader DC and uncheck "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Expl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At long last ! A solution that works and persists, not just a temporary trick. I've been SO annoyed for many years at Adobe. Thanks for posting this. The File Explorer settings in PowerToys finally fixed this for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried Powertoys v0.72.0. It also does the trick.

But when the pdf preview is enabled in Powertoys, the preview handler in MS Outlook no longer works. (Issue 2)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/outlook-pdf-preview-error-this-file-cannot-be-previewed-b... 

This is no problem with the Adobe_Reader_x64_fixes_v3_001 sollution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company will not allow the installation of the fix. Why is it that Adobe will not fix this issue themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still a problem in 2024, how can Adobe be so inept is laughable.

For me not 100% exactly sure which step corrected the issue for me, but my desktop is redirected. I enabled/disabled the PDF preview in Acrobat and performed the listed steps to delete the iconcache which did not resolve the issue, I then moved the files to my local C and then back, and now the icons are correct. I suspect the inverted my have to happen where if files are local C, move to a flash drive or network drive and back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines