• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF links within adobe not opening

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF file which contains links to other PDF files.  For only one person / one computer, Adobe doesn't know what to do with the link.  It displays the Microsoft "you will need a new app to open this" window, and there are no options.

However, there are multiple apps installed that could open PDFs.  When setting the file association within windows, they all show.

The links work on that computer if you open the PDF with a browser or similar, just not from within  Adobe.

Links to other file types eg Word documents are working fine from Adobe.
So it's only how Adobe decides to open PDF files that is broken.

Anyone got any ideas please?  I've tried the usual repairs / reinstalls.  

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does they use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, never got the alert someone had replied.

64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link the pdf extension with Adobe Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It already is, Adobe has all of it's defaults.  
I did a full re-install as well, so it would have had the associations made then too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It displays the Microsoft "you will need a new app to open this" window, and there are no options.

Can you post a screenshot of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screen shot, make sure Acrobat Reader is clearly visible (so we can verify the user is using the correct app). Most problems like this come from using the wrong app to open the PDF in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached the screenshots as requested.  The last one shows an example of one of the links.

I've been playing around, I restored all file associations to windows default (ie Edge), then re-associated them with Adobe.

Oddly enough, the links within the PDF now open straight away, but in Edge.  You can see the file associations are all for Adobe.

On another users profile on that PC, the original problem occurs (you will need a new app)

Thank you

adobe4.png

adobe2.png

adobe3.png

    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you created the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I didn't make it, so other that telling you it was created in Adobe Pro, I don't know.  I think it was converted from a word document.

I'll try editing / recreating the links and see if it helps.

Please bear in mind the links in the PDF work just fine on other computers though.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Will.  The same PDF and links within work on all other computers just fine.  Just this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines