Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF pages go blank

Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using adobe acrobat pro dc and I leave a pdf open and untouched. The page I am viewing goes blank as well as the next couple of pages.

I have to close out adobe and restart my machine. Otherwise any other pdf I open will have random blank pages in the file.

I have already reinstalled from the web site. Ran repair on it. Yet the issue continues. Any help would be great

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Well.... we fought this and fought this.  Poured through the countless forums going back years... and we actually found something that fixed (for us) this exact issue. 

This is for Windows 10 running Adobe X and DC,  PDF's opened from the network (locally opened PDF's are fine) have random blank pages after sitting idle for some time.

Troubleshooting Done:  Reinstalled Adobe, even used the Adobe Cleanup tool.  Was using X Standard, so tried using a trial of DC.  Tried different profiles on the co

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  And thanks to Clintgoodie for the suggestions.  But it is now November 2020 and I am having the exact same issue running Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on Windows 10 Enterprise ver 2004 i7-8665U 16.0 GB RAM machine. 

I have the eact same question as another commenter.  Adobe, please explain exactly how to change the Group Policy as suggested.  I hae no clue how to do this.  Is it something a regular user like me can do?  is it a setting on my laptop?  Or do I need to have my IT administrator do it?  And if the IT admin must do it, how do they do it?  Is this in Windows?  In Adobe Acrobat?  Please explain the exact series of steps required to update the Group Policy settings.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a complete noob when it comes to pc issues, please could you give a step by step guide on how exactly I go about doing this.... I don't even know what Group policy is let alone how to find it.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for someone like me who doesn't have the ability to edit group policy for mapped drives?  My drives are mapped from my Synology NAS via SMB but I experience the exact same thing.  After several hours or a day the PDFs open within Adobe Reader go blank and I have to close and reopen them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that solution doesn't seem to be possible for Windows 10 Home users because we don't have access to group policies [1]. On my last computer this bug made me abandon Acrobat reader; I think I'll do the same on this one.

[1] I can find lots of sites offering to let me edit my group policies if I download some unofficial software of completely unknown provenance and run it as administrator. Er, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions for not "replacing" mapped drives does help but we were still having this issue even when opening directly from UNC path.  Perhaps the connection is being disrupted when the machine goes idle and Acrobat doesn't recover correctly.   Based on another poster, we found that preferences -> Page Display -> Use OverPrint Preview -> Always solved the issue.   It's able to resume the connection after idle and no longer have blank pages.   

Here's the registry key which we are pusing out by Group Policy Preferences.  

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AVDisplay

iOverprintPreview = 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this sounds promising. However, I am having the issue with Google Drive files that are stored using Google's Drive app via some sort of virtual hard drive. So fixing this looks not simple. ...Should I just install a third-party reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We've got the same issue most of our workstations run on Win 7 with the latest Acrobat Reader DC.

The difference is our network shares are not mapped via group policies, we use the good old batch script command net use.

Is there a fix for the blank pages issue? Local files work fine, web files look also good but the issue with the network shares is a problem for us.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same; no GP, here.Blank pages are frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows 10, available software is Adobe Reader touch. There is no Preference option available within Settings but only Options and I can only change My name ! More surprising is that this software opens all files except one file ! So strange !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue...so frustrating

Is there an answer out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One my users is having this issue.  He will have multiple PDF's open and after about an hour some of the pages go blank.  It's only resolved by either closing/reopening or rebooted.  This happened in Adobe Reader and Adobe Standard 2017 (Windows 10).  Adobe:  are you working on a resolution for this issue the it seems multiple people have been having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue on Acrobat Pro DC and resolved by Preferences > Page Display > Page Content and Information - Use overprint preview - change to 'Always'.

Worked a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been fighting this phenomum and the sloutions above did not work for me. But here is what I found, hoping it may help a least some people

On a windows 10 PC, in  a low number of incomming emails with PDF attachments,  the PDF reader randomly shows all pages blank. Changing all sort of preferences did not solve the issue. The problem occurred regarldess of the reader I used so it does not seem as an Acrobat Reader problem.

But I was able to read that same PDF from my iPhone. mmm. So I opened the pdf in my iphone, mailed it to myself directly from within the reader app sharing button. And -voila- I can now read the PDF in my PC , only that the company logo at the top and bottom of the page is solid grey instead. 

The next disccovery was that the issue is not random but it happens with all attachmetns I get from Avis car rental company 

I suspect header and footer graphic are downloaded from a some server that is blocked by some security SW in my comptuer along with all the contents. I can not confirm this becasue this is a company IT controlled PC.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a legend! Fixed my blank pages. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had ths issue today and i had just to set the "Preferences/Display/Content Of The Pages And Other Information/Use the overprinting view" to "Automatic".

PS: Because I'm using French version, sorry if the translation from french is approximative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just BAD PROGRAMING BY ADOBE plain and simple it is an example of crap programmers at Adobe and no quality control at all at Adobe. Open 2 PDF and go get a cup of coffee when you come back the screesn are blank and 

unable to be seen or used. Does not matter if you made then on disk 6 minutes ago or if Adobe made them on own site. 

No matter dates or who created them all go blank due to Adobe DC Reader sucks and worst programming example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines