PDF Preview Handler doesn't work

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I got this error in the e-mail window:

This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:
PDF Preview Handler for Vista
To open this file in its own program, double-click it.

No more error details are provided.
Windows Vista x64 + Outlook 2007.
I tried reinstalling 8.1 update, no success.
Any clue?
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 101 Replies 101
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2009 Mar 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran "PDFPrevHndlrShim.exe" as described, verified that it was running in the process list and still no joy ):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, same operating system, same outlook. How is it possible that Adobe doesn't repair the bug?

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

ADOBE COME ON!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem only for x64 platforms… in the same machine I have 2 drives with exactly the same configuration except that one drive runs Windows 7 x32 and the other Windows 7 x64. The preview handler of adobe does not work only when I run Windows 7 x64!

As I see this problem is around for years with vista x64 and adobe has done absolutely nothing. And won't do for the years to come. For some reason adobe does not like much x64 platforms.  With the recent exception of photoshop no other product of adobe has a x64 flavor…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similiar problem with Vista x32.  The preview handler is able to display the pdf, but the fields that were filled in prior to the email are not showing any values, but when you open the pdf with reader the values are there.  Below is a more detail account of what is happening.  I have contacted the third party dll as well, but thought someone here might have an idea too.

I have a client that is using the a thrid party PDF dll (Syncfusion) to generate and email PDFs reports. There seems to be an issue with the PDFs that are generated and using the built-in PDF Preview Handler for Vista. The scenario is ...

1. User receives an email into Outlook that contains a generated PDF (see image ''01-Opening-Email.jpg'')

2. User clicks on the attachment in Outlook and the preview handler starts up (see image ''02-Loading-Previewer.jpg'')

3. The PDF displayed in the preview handler does not have any of the fields filled out (see image ''03-Report-Loaded-In-Viewer.jpg'')

4. User then right clicks on the PDF (in outlook) and selects to open the PDF with Adobe Acrobat Version 9.0 and the report is displayed with all the fields filled out (see image ''04-Report-Opened-With-Adobe.jpg'')

All of these images are included in the attachment that I have uploaded with this incident. As well, in the RAR file is the PDF that was sent by the system using the PDF dll from Syncfusion. Please let me know if you need any more information from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Windows 7 RTM 64 bit with Outlook 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 9 standard.

The PDF preview handler still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into this today and discovered a simple fix for the problem:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/index.html

I built a workaround into my own software which uses the Adobe PDF preview handler but you can make a simple registry change to fix the problem in Outlook and Explorer as well.

I thought I'd share it with everyone as it doesn't look like Adobe are going to fix it themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leo… it did the job…

Would you by any chance know something similar for previewing Office 2003 files in the Windows explorer?

(I am running Windows 7, x64)

Thanks again…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I know that will view Office 2003 files in Windows Explorer is Office 2007 (or 2010 presumably).

There are alternative file managers which can view Office 2003 files using earlier versions of MS Office, or OpenOffice (free) or things like QuickViewPlus. Even there, though, if you want top-notch Office document previewing then Office 2007 is the best because it is the first version of Office to come with proper file viewing components for other tools to plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the same fix as Leo on Outlook 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit and it worked - I did the manual regedit with no issue.  Just waited a few minutes then went to different email with pdf attached and preview worked just like it used to before the windows upgrade

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Leo. I have tried the change of key value in the registry by regedit command. It has SOLVED the preview problem of pdf files in outlook 2007. I am running 64 bit verstion of windows 7.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leo! Your solution at:

...Worked on both Win 7 x64 machines we tried it on here.

How on earth do you know where to find these things in the registry? You should be called Neo rather than Leo!

Thanks again for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I tried this fix and it did not work. I have Acrobat Pro v9 and not reader, so I am not sure if this is the same fix.  Also, I am using W7 Pro

x64.  Much thanks!  So confusing that this is an issue and Adobe hasnt fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat Pro v9 and not reader, so I am not sure if this is the same fix.

I don't know if Acrobat even installs a preview handler (even on 32-bit Windows). You may need to install Reader as well to get the preview handler. Can't say for sure as I don't have Acrobat, though.

(BTW, not sure of the URL off the top of my head but Adobe have a page on their website that lists which versions of Acrobat and Reader can safely co-exist on the same machine. If you have an older version of Acrobat then installing the latest Reader may cause problems. Installing an older version of Reader isn't a good idea, though, due to all the security holes in older versions.)

So confusing that this is an issue and Adobe hasnt fixed it.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that, three months after I reported the fix, Adobe still don't seem to have updated the Adobe Reader installer to incorporate it. I'm still getting loads of "thank you" emails so it's clear the problem affects a lot of people. It's also ridiculous that such a simple problem, caused by not following the Windows API documentation, that affects so many people was completely ignored for so long. Adobe: Pull your socks up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My page about the fix is updated:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

There is now a tool that automates the fix.

After three months, Adobe still haven't fixed their installer and I'm still getting loads of people emailing me to say thanks. I figured the existing info was too complex for a lot of people, and it looks like the fix may be useful for some time, so I wrote the tool to make things easier and help more people.

The tool takes care of stuff like the extra registry value that Vista and Vista-to-Win7-upgrade users need to modify. It also offers to reset the preview handler association for people who have another one installed, makes sure people don't try to "fix" 32-bit Windows by mistake, and some other stuff. It should give people a one-click fix.

Of course, I've left the old details there for those who prefer to do things by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works like a charm. You are awesome!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo Davidson's elegant fix to this long-standing Adobe bug is highly recommended. It worked instantly on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine.

It would be great for all us Adobe users, if Adobe would Mr. Davidson as an ombudsman.  Think Mark Russinovich . . . SysInternals . . . Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leo

I just want to give you a pat on the back for your help on this matter. Well done. I obviously join a chorus of users who send a message to Adobe to make a fix for the billion other users around the world... and perhaps they can throw your name into the fix for good measure. If you had a small paypal donation button on your installer (or webpage) i would definitely have thrown a few bucks your way, because i think you're a mensch.

Regards

Paul Steinberg

Melbourne Australia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just released an additional fix that makes Adobe Reader's thumbnails work on 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

Enjoy!

BTW, I made the thumbnails look better by trimming the white frame. Might even be worth installing on 32-bit machines. 🙂

Here's a screenshot showing the thumbnails and preview handler working on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/adobe_pdf_thumbnails_fix_small.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leo!

I read through your site, and chose to go the lazy route using the app to modify the registry instead of doing it manually.  I can add to the list of confirmations that it worked flawlessly as advertised on Win 7 x64 without any issues what-so-ever.  Now if only Adobe could make their software so reliable.....

Anyhow, just a quick note to say thanks for doing this!

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2010 Mar 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leo,

Did the trick on my Windows 7 64bit machine.

@Adobe: you should be ashamed to let this go on for such a long time

@Leo: I donated something, but an additional message seems no option. Luckily the header of the payment says: "PDF 64-bit fixes", so your friend should know enough!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"@Adobe: you should be ashamed to let this go on for such a long time"

I second that... very disapointing.

Regards,

Mike D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Steve Jobs isn't too far off the mark with his "Adobe is lazy" statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mschaffer wrote:

Maybe Steve Jobs isn't too far off the mark with his "Adobe is lazy" statement.

For all that I've said about Adobe regarding this PDF issue (and others), I'd choose them over Apple any day. Apple's behaviour when given power over a popular platform is unforgivable -- e.g. arbitrarily banning all programming languages & tools except their own -- makes me side with Adobe on that fight.

For all that's wrong with Adobe in the last few years, I do still *choose* to use several of their software packages. The only Apple code I ever use is what's forced upon me to use their hardware. (Even then, since reinstalling with Windows 7, I've refused to install iTunes on my machine. I'll live with a stale iPod for a while and install it in a virtual machine when the time comes.)

I mean, if we're going to ban inefficient code that's the product of a poor cross-platform porting framework and results in an awful app, Apple should have the decency to ban their own Windows port of iTunes (or let me choose to use other software with their devices).

Anyway, glad the Adobe Reader fixes are working for everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines