Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF / XFA seventh circle of hell : (

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone.

New to Adobe and having a dispiriting experience trying to work with a PDF I’ve been given that (I believe) has XFA features (whatever that is).

I can fill the form in – but when I try to add comments I get a pop up which says:

“This form is interactive and has special features. To save a copy of it that you can treat as any other PDF file, choose File > Print and then choose the Adobe PDF printer.”

I found this article which (allegedly) outlines how to edit XFA forms.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/kb/edit-xfa-form.html

Workaround 1 has me saving the file as an “Encapsulated PostScript file”

But I get twenty odd files – one for each page.

Workaround 2 printing the form to Adobe PDF printer

I’m running MacOS Monterey and there is no Adobe PDF Printer.

After doing some research I think the steps in the pop up outlined above actually refers to actions Windows users must take and there is no Adobe PDF Printer these days on Macs (but shout me down it I’m wrong.

Instead Mac users must Save as PDF to get rid of XFA features.

However….

After saving as a PDF, reopening the file – I’m still unable to add stickies.

I’m two hours into working with Adobe DC and already want to shoot myself in the face.

And to make matters worse the PDF I’ve trying to edit is for my divorce.

Please rescue me from the seventh circle of PDF hell!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no tool to convert to a regular PDF. And the tricks don't work on Mac, where there is no PDF printer. Just don't add sticky notes. The creator of the form knows you can't do that. If it's for your own use, perhaps have a master PDF with notes, and add the form as an attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, if you have to return the form, all the tricks break that - what you return isn't a form any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines