• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdfs no longer automatically open in Acrobat

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a licensed version of Acrobat and have had for many years. Recently I was asked to update Reader in order to open a cloud-based pdf, which I did. After this, pdfs would only open on the browser-based Reader and not on Acrobat. After doing some research on how to fix it, I uninstalled Reader. Now I can open pdfs in Acrobat, but Windows still does not associate the file type with the program. I have tried again to set the file association via Properties>Opens with>Change (from unknown application to Adobe Acrobat) but this does not make any difference. Any suggestions welcome, as I can't seem to find any answers online. Thank you. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click any PDF file and select Open With - Choose Another App.

Then select Acrobat from the list and tick the box to always use this app for .pdf files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your quick suggestion. I have tried that (see pic), but it makes no difference. The icon remains generic white, not associated with Adobe. Any other ideas gratefully received. 

Ben272555000nvl_0-1677234462747.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But does it open in Acrobat when you double-click it?

I would also recommend running a Repair Installation on Acrobat (via the application's Help menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, no files don't open when i double click. I always have to "open with", which is a bit of a pain. Same with email attachements - I can no longer open a pdf directly from outlook, i have to download, save and "open with" acrobat. Trying to run the repair installation now but I get Error 1311...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

..to be more precise, when I double click on the icon I always get the "How do you want to open this pdf file" pop up, like in the first screengrab. Thanks for all help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines