Preventing vector-based import from *.pdf...

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a AutoCAD teacher for 30+ years now.
I do have 1000+ tutorial-pages which are outputed in *.pdf from within AutoCAD
Of course the source of this *.pdf is vector-based, hence those *.pdf
could be imported back in AutoCAD, recuperating a lot of geometry and text.
This is my problem, I do not want that anyone can retrieve my work over all these years.
My questions:
- Could PDF-A be a solution (or another flavor of PDF?)
- Is there any embedded Website PDF-viewer which does not allow to download the *.pdf?
or perhaps a hosting site which is able to achieve this?
Thank you.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set document security, but a lot of apps will ignore it. Essentially, no, you cannot prevent this if the person has the file.

PDF/A is not a kind of security, it is a set of rules to follow.

Server side delivery is an option, if it never allows download.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Those solutions won't really work. To view a PDF file it has to be downloaded first, so that won't solve your problem.

Basically, there isn't any real solution, unless you're willing to invest a lot of money in DRM technology to protect your files. Alternatively, why not export them as bitmap images, and create new PDF files from those? That way they won't be vector-based any longer and importing them in AutoCAD (or any other vector-based program, like Illustrator) won't yield a file that you can work on (at least not with a lot of effort)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines