• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview Pane File Not Found Windows 10

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, we started experiencing this issue with the preview pane when clicking on PDFs in the office:

Sanda23476559riox_0-1646674611428.png

The PDF opens fine, but we can't preview. I already restarted the comptuer and unchecked and rechecked the preview settings withing adobe. All looks good. Please help. 

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Had the same issue today with some PDF attachments not previewing in Outlook, checked for updates for Adobe Reader and updated to the latest version out today 2022.001.20085 and the preview function worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

As your OS is on "19042", that means you're on the 20H2 update. This means you're a couple of feature updates behind, although the ".1586" means you're on the latest patch level, so unless PDF previewing is a feature, you really shouldn't be affected. Talking to your IT about upgrading to the latest feature update, 21H2, might help.

Another thing I just thought about/noticed is that I'm running PowerToys for Windows, which includes a PDF preview function for Windows Explorer. It's possible that this is what is "fixing" the problem for me on my own machine. I won't be able to test this until next Tuesday when I return to my client site, but I will definitely be installing this application to see if it alleviates the issue for them.

Cheers,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREAT NEWS #

I'm not sure what changed, but my Previews are back!! 

I have not run an update from our side and I never changed my naming scheme.
# are back #

Have a great day, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, mine is back now too!  

Have a Happy Easter weekend! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input David.

One thing that I didn't even think about that's different with my machine is that I have PowerToys for Windows 10 installed, which includes a PDF previewer.

I'm wondering if you happen to have this software installed as well.

Thanks,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this link which is about the same issue, but over at Microsoft; File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in my case what I ended up having to do is. Remove all versions of
Adobe DC and then install the 32 bit version of reader. I then had to put
the registry keys in place to stop automatic upgrading otherwise it
just auto updates to the 64 bit version. Once that was done preview worked
and Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 that my user had on the system worked (with the
exception that the option to right click and combine to pdf option didn't
work on files and pictures. work around for that was to select the files
that the user wanted to combine and choose print and print to PDF printer
instead) However every so often the preview gets broken again and the user
has to go to the Acrobat DC Reader and go to the help menu and select
repair installation then the preview works again for a while until it
doesn't and you have to repeat the repair. So far this is the only really
solution I have found that works for my users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Fix] PDF Preview Shows Directory Index or ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND » Winhelponline:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/pdf-preview-directory-index-file-not-found/

"Step 2" in the article is important as it stops Edge from resetting the default preview handler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My DC was up to date and this issue still happening. I repaired the installation and in my case this worked on 2 different computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I hope you have solved the issue by now. If not, read below.

I too had similar issue and after hours of digging the internet found the solution. It looks like its neither Windows or Adobe or any other PDF reader per se issue. It’s basically Windows Edge bug which fails to preview the file if “#” is included within the file name. It performs as expected when there is no # sign in the filename.

Anyways solution is running commands to change the preview of the file from Edge to Adobe.

Open Command prompt in Admin rights.

Run these commands to change the default preview from Edge to Adobe.

reg add HKCR\.pdf\ShellEx\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f} /ve /d {DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44885D7DC193} /f

Run these commands to stop Edge changing the default preview back to edge.

reg add HKCR\CLSID\{3A84F9C2-6164-485C-A7D9-4B27F8AC009E} /v EnablePreviewHandler /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKCR\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{3A84F9C2-6164-485C-A7D9-4B27F8AC009E} /v EnablePreviewHandler /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Close the window. It should be solved by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thanks to you Marzukh! Y'all just need to run the 1st command to change the default from Edge to Adobe. 

I can Preview all of my docs that I had a # labeled on them which I was needed in my record keeping.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have noticed the pdf files that won't show a preview has an "x" on the pdf logo beside the file and the files that can be previewed don't have the "x".  Can anyone answer this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue itself is that the '#' or other symbols are "breaking" the file path in Windows, and so it can't preview the file. The same mechanism must somehow be involved with generating thumbnails, so it doesn't know the file is a ".pdf" filetype, since anything after the '#' is not seen as part of the file path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines