Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

print simulating "fit-to-width scrolling"

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a PDF that seems to have been created with the intent of making it very difficult to print.

When I view it in Reader, it displays beautifully - using "fit-to-width scrolling." The PDF consists of 3 pages, but each page is *very* narrow and *very* long. Using "fit-to-width scrolling," each of these pages can be scrolled as if you were scrolling many separate pages. However, when I try to print, I see all of these pages jammed into a very narrow strip on a single page -- totally unreadable.

Can I adjust the print settings to simulate "fit-to-width scrolling?" This would require printing each of the three pages in the document on several actual pages. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Matthew

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to play with the "Poster" options, or with the "Current view" options.

Capture_2212191136.png

Capture_2212191140.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response, JR. Merci.

"Poster" scale gets me close, but the problem is I can't see what the output will look like. Instead of the 6 pages/panels clearly visible in your screenshot, it's 56(!) pages / 17 x 220 Inches at default settings, which yields a very thin blur in that box to the right, whatever it's called ("print preview?"), so it's not possible to see what to expect from printing the document.

When I go ahead and print this, the first page comes out fine ("Yay!"), but subsequent pages quickly break up the content in the middle of text fields, and lines of text.

FEATURE REQUEST: Since it seems like it doesn't exist, what would be super helpful is a true Print Preview that made it possible to see what was going to print.

"Current view" gets me close to what I'm looking for, but only on a page by page basis, which is quite inefficient for a document as large as the one I'm working with. Also, I am still left having to optimize the positioning of each page manually.

I guess this will be the "solution:" to scroll down and in "Current View," printing page by page.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand correctly, you have 3, 17"x220" pages, and each page contains 18 or 19 page images?

You could duplicate and crop the pdf for each page, but a better solution (if you have InDesign) would be to create an InDesign file at your final desired page size, place the pdf into the parent page (offset 0,0), create as many pages as need from the parent page, select all pages and overide the parent page, then move each page (subtract the height of a page) until all pages are in position, export to a new pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Since it seems like it doesn't exist, what would be super helpful is a true Print Preview that made it possible to see what was going to print."

You can print to PDF, then if it's OK you can print the new PDF to paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines