Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printed page not matching PDF

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with the position of page numbers.

I used Acrobat to create a PDF from a Word document. The Word document has footers with a page number on certain pages (the first page of each section). The PDF looks fine when viewed in Reader (it has the page number footers in the right place). However, when I print the PDF to hardcopy, the page numbers aren't are at the bottom of the page in a footer, but rather higher up (it looks like they are being placed a certain distance from the last text on the page).

If I use the "Print as Image" option in Reader when printing the PDF to hardcopy, the footers come out in the right place, which suggests there may be a problem with the PDF file?

I have gone into Tools > Print Production > Preflight, and run a syntax check (a suggestion I found online), and that didn't turn up any problems.

I need to share the PDF document online, so I don't want to rely on readers checking "Print as Image" before printing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing, in case it wasn't clear: the page numbers and footers are from the original Word document (not subsequently added by Acrobat).

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to replicate that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just taking a guess -- ait could be a font issue.

Something you could try . . .

Before converting the Word document to PDF, Open Acrobat. Open Preferences. Under Category, select Convert to PDF.Select Word, and click Edit Settings.

image.png

Click the Edit button.

Click Font in the list on the left. Take the checkmark off of Subset.

image.png

Now try File > Creatre > PDF from File and choose your Word document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

Thanks very much for your reply. I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I don't think it's a font issue: the footer text is in the same font (Minion) as the rest of the text on the pages - and the other text comes out fine when I print the PDF.

Maybe there's some kind of corruption in my Word file? But then it's odd that the PDF looks fine on screen (with the footers in the right place).

Cheers,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your printer a postscript printer or does it have a postscript simulator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure. When trying to print a PDF from inside Adobe Reader, if I click on Advanced, the postcript options are greyed out, so perhaps not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try a different printer? It can well be the printer you're using. Basically, what happens with print as image, Acrobat is doing the ripping and that is an option especially for such cases, where the printer driver or the printer is buggy.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

I have tried it on 2 different printers (and even tried re-installing the printer software) and I get the same result.

Still, I think you may be right that it's a printer problem. It occurred to me to try printing some other PDF files created from Word documents by other people that have the same features (short amount of text + footer at bottom of the page), and I ran into the same problem: the footer comes out high up the page below the text, rather than at the bottom of the page.

So it looks like it's probably not a problem with the PDF, but rather with my printer.

For future reference, in case anybody else is looking: the printer I've been having trouble with is an HP Laserjet 200 color M251 PCL 6.

Thanks all,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A different printer means a different model of printer, possibly even from a different manufacturer. The same model with the same OS and version should produce the same results. I suppose your OS is windows? If so, you could try the XPS Document Writer.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your print scaling options? Please post a screen shot of the print dialog (print option page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot of the print dialogue when printing the PDF from inside Reader.

2023-01-01-print-dialogue-screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that. The options look ok. I notice you say "print as image" is ok. Print as image is a "simpler" print. Instead of asking the printer software to print all the details if the page, it makes one big picture, and prints that. It's a way of getting around printer software problems! So yes it's the printer not the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines