Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing to .pdf insists on clipping image margins + image rotated incorrectly

Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

Am trying to upload a cover image to KDP and running into 2 issues with Adobe. Odd because have uploaded the images numerous times before, no problem. Have tried resetting preferences on exit, did not help. *DID* run into this issue once before, a year or two ago, and tech guy had some super-secret "reset" key combo for Adobe that I did not write down.

So I have an image in PS CC that is 13.55" wide by 9.25" tall--custom size.  When I try to print to .pdf from inside PS, 1st red flag is it wants to clip the margins because it is "not in printable area."  No.  I am not printing to a printer but to a .pdf and I want the full image, including the bleed that the printing company needs.  

The layout is set to landscape and the feed set to long edge first [seems redundant, but whatever].  When I print, the image comes out rotated into profile mode, with the sides all substantially clipped off.

I have tried workaround of setting it [incorrectly] to profile, of swapping width and height numbers, of rotating the image 90 degrees then printing, and even if I get it to look right when Adobe brings up the output in its viewer...?  It still does not upload to KDP correctly--it uploads in profile mode, with the sides substantially clipped. 

Again, is annoying as have printed and uploaded with no problems dozens of times.  What is the fix?   

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 1: So have previously tried "Save As Adobe .pdf" and got same results.  [Not always the case, sometimes one or other works better.]  However, went back and did a Save As but instead of using one of my own custom preset or the "High Quality Print" preset which had already tried with no luck?  I tried the "Press Quality" preset.  

Am still trying to upload it to KDP but am encouraged that it at least output image without margin clipping and in landscape orientation.  [Note that if I try to use this preset and print to .pdf...?  It still wants to clip the margins...?!?]

So...am encouraged...but still have not solved it.  The KDP uploader hung during upload.  It is *possible* that is a KDP issue, so will contact their tech support tomorrow.  Have had to have them unf*ck things from their side before.

Still open to input on how to resolve, as would prefer to use my custom preset as have many times before.  There is a secret key stroke sequence that resets PS in some way, and suspect that may be what is needed [again].

Thanks in advance for any info toward resolving this issue,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, printing to PDF is discouraged these days - it's felt that where an app can save/export PDF directly it will do a better job. So you may be on the right track...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update 2: So that did the trick as a workaround, but does not fix the actual issue(s).  

Should be able to use my own preset or any of the factory presets (such as High Quality Print).  Should be able to print to .pdf or do Save As and get same results (instead of Print To trying to clip the margins).  Should not rotate the orientation unless told to do so.  

Still interested in the "secret" reset key combo, as that may be helpful here.  

Thanks,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines