• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with reducing Document size

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I know there are various different questions on this issue but it also doesnt seem like a resolution has been found.  I wanted to provide more information that may not have been brought up.

I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard.   Certain documents seems to get locked after signing.  This is most likely due to the person signing the document.  I was able to reduce the size of these documents even when they are signed using Windows 7.  Once using a windows 10 computer, this is not possible.  I get the following error message:

"You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this task.  Please change the security settings from the document properties dialog and retry."

Both of my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines are using the same version of adobe acrobat standard 9. 

The security for the document under the properties shows changing the document "not allowed".  The security method is set to no security and all options to change this are greyed out.  I also have attempted to set the PDF/A View mode to never like other documents suggested. This didnt fix the issue.

I also attempted to add the trusted identity.  This didnt fix the issue either.

Are there any solutions for this yet?  Why is this a problem on Windows 10 and not on Windows 7?  I am having to tell clients to print the document to pdf and then perform the task in the subject but even after doing that, the document does not shrink as well as the documents on my windows 7 machine(Ex, 14.5 mb vs 1.4mb).

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shrinking files will destroy the validity of signatures, so it would be possible to argue Windows 10 is protecting you from this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a matter of meeting a deadline and you dont have the time to wait for a solution, you can always delete those signature fields and  save the file as post script. Then compress the post script file; then open it again with Adobe Acrobat, edit, and add the new signature fields to your newly compressed document and have the customer resign it.

The customer may not be very happy about it, specially  if it involves resigning a lot of signature fields by more than one individual.

Ensure also that when the last signature is applied to that document it locks it and converts the entire document to read only.

This is the only way I have figured out in how  to work around a document when it looses the validity of signatures in a work environment where your bosses don't care about the technical problems but rather rushing their subbordinates in getting a result done without regards to how its done, and  as long as it meets the deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an ETA for this solution?  Do you know if this is a problem with versions beyond 9 as well?  Is this a bug?

Can you shed more light on what is causing this?

I am confused as to what the problem is as it seems to be Windows 10 preventing this rather than adobe itself, but maybe I am wrong.

Currently, we have a workaround so we can wait for a solution but I am unsure as to how this will affect us since version 9 is no longer supported.  Do you need anymore information from me to help troubleshoot?  The only thing I cannot provide is a sample document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add,

Would it be convenient to try and turn off the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in your Win10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Acrobat is working correctly, and was wrongly letting you do this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I understand the situation, as described above you are not able to reduce the file size with Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.

I hope this will help, keep us updated.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in a PDF I just created (2 infact).

The thing is, nothing is signed and are no restrictions.

I really didn't need to reduce size, but was trying to edit/highlight some of the existing text, but all

the tools to do that are greyed out, so I can't fugure out what might be stopping the changes...

Ideas?  I've never seen this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update...can't embed an index in the document either -- never have had that happen:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines