Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Protection against copying - how?

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
how can I protect a pdf-file against copying? I want it to be printable, but I don't want the text to be copied.
I have read that there is a possibility in Adobe Acrobat, but I did not find it (it is not Acrobat Reader, but the full version).
Thank you

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Keep in mind that if you want people to be able to print it, there's no stopping anyone from scanning the printed version and then OCR-ing the text and copying that.

In addition, a lot of screen-capture software (e.g., Snaggit) will let you access the text in a screen capture. 

Plus, there are a number of 3rd-party PDF software out there that can bypass security (and no, I do not know which ones).

Simply, using the security tools that Acrobat provides is sort of like putting locks on your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document Properties > Security

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.42.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at "Protect a PDF" of "All tools".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Keep in mind that if you want people to be able to print it, there's no stopping anyone from scanning the printed version and then OCR-ing the text and copying that.

In addition, a lot of screen-capture software (e.g., Snaggit) will let you access the text in a screen capture. 

Plus, there are a number of 3rd-party PDF software out there that can bypass security (and no, I do not know which ones).

Simply, using the security tools that Acrobat provides is sort of like putting locks on your doors—it mostly keeps the honest or slightly dishonest people out. If someone wants in, they will get in.

Wish I could tell you otherwise, but that's the way things are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines