• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing PDF As PDF/A with Copyright Status and Copyright Notice Additional Metadata Tag

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to understand the precise limits of information that can be published to PDF/A format, and available help on publishing to PDF/A is rather opaque.

Is it possible to create a PDF/A-1a ("PDF/A") compliant file that includes the additional metadata tags for "Copyright" status other than "unknown" such as "Copyrighted," as well as the Copyright Notice being completed.

I have been experimenting with Adobe and Bluebeam Revue and it appears that once the "Save to PDF/A" process executes, all "additional Metadata" such as the copyright status and copyright notice information gets stripped from the file.

I also reviewed from archiving specification side, and it appears that "Additional Metadata" would not necessarily in and of itself foul the PDF/A specification generally produced and maintained by Adobe's joint body of NPES and AIIM in that it requires only that "Use of standards-based metadata is required," which can be accomodated by standards for the additional copyright metadata.

Is it possible to produce a document in PDF/A format that includes "PDF additional metadata" for Copyright Status ["Copyrighted" / any status other than "Unknown"] and Copyright Notice data?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022
.. the PDF/A specification generally produced and maintained by Adobe's joint body of NPES and AIIM...
By @G276647005rm7

First, this is outdated information. PDF/A is an ISO standard. Although  Adobe is on the ISO committee that develops and maintains the PDF/A standard, AIIM is totally out of the picture.  The PDF Association (www.PDFa.org) is now the coordinating entity. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A  and https://www.pdfa.org/resource/iso-19005-pdfa/

We're up to version 4 of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. the PDF/A specification generally produced and maintained by Adobe's joint body of NPES and AIIM...
By @G276647005rm7

First, this is outdated information. PDF/A is an ISO standard. Although  Adobe is on the ISO committee that develops and maintains the PDF/A standard, AIIM is totally out of the picture.  The PDF Association (www.PDFa.org) is now the coordinating entity. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A  and https://www.pdfa.org/resource/iso-19005-pdfa/

We're up to version 4 of the PDF/A standard, and I'm not sure where copyright metadata is specified in any of the versions. If I can get more details about it, I'll repost here.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ms. Chagnon,

Thank you for your clarification. It appears that metadata for copyright ("copyright status" and "copyright notice" information) is not supported in the current specification, and therefore as consequence, Adobe products are behaving correctly to then strip them out by default during publishing to PDF/A process.

This may be the wrong venue, but it would seem like copyright metadata would serve beneficial purpose coinciding with archiving goals of the PDF/A format, and recommend support for these tags in consideration for future update of the PDF/A specification.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...it would seem like copyright metadata would serve beneficial purpose coinciding with archiving goals of the PDF/A format, and recommend support for these tags in consideration for future update of the PDF/A specification.

By @G276647005rm7

Agree with you on that.

I'm on the ISO PDF committees that maintain this standard. I'll do some research and get back to you.

In the meantime, did you try to make a PDF/A with copyright metadata using one of the newer versions of PDF/A?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ms. Chagnon,

Thanks again.

I'm reviewing that question now and will pursue publishing software which includes more recent PDF/A standards version(s). It appears the only supported versions I currently have available are compliant to only PDF/A-1A and PDF/A-1b, but I'm still testing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines