• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"An Internal Error Occured" when clicking on a PDF and Windows Explorer preview pane is showing.

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Running Windows 11, up-to-date system and up-to-date Creative Cloud and Adobe Acrobat DC. I have my preview pane visible when going through my files, and sometime in the last 2 weeks PDFs no longer show up in the preview pane. Instead, windows explorer freezes for a few seconds and then shows an Adobe Acrobat "An Internal Error Occured" pop-up. I tried clearing out my temporary files, and tried creating a "2022" folder in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\ which was suggested in this thread. Neither worked. All other file types (.jpg, .doc, etc.) show up in the preview pane just fine. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 134651.png

 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I had to go C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder, click properties and go to security tab. I had a bunch of left-over "Account Unknown" listed besides my three main ones (System, [me], Admin). I deleted all the account unknowns.

That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

This worked, for me! (thank god, what a pain in the a**)
I couldn't find the "AppData" folder, I ended up finding it by clicking "view", then "show" and then toggling on "hidden files".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Me paso lo mismo, entre en la ruto que colocaron y le saque los permisos heredados y borre los los desconocidos y hasta ahora funciona

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 144 Replies 144
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine said this too.  Be sure to click APPLY when you get this error.  You should be able to ignore the warning all the unknowns were removed anyway 🙂 

Thank you @markelrayes this solutions worked for me (W11 - up to date / CC up to date).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I do not have any leftover unkown accounts in the Security Tab? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too.  One window back, in Adobe Properties, there is an advanced button at the bottom.  Click that and in the next popup you can disable inheritance.  It will ask you what to do with the existing inheritance rules, and I chose the option to turn them each into explicit rules.  That cleared out the last unknown account for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same message. I left just that one and deleted all the others. It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hit 'Apply' and then 'OK' and it will delete that remaining account automatically, did for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the first one from top to bottom is binded to the previous one, so if you try to delete the first one in first place this message appears. For me i deleted it all from the next to "System" to top one, like from bottom to top, and as i tried to delete the first one in irst place too just like you, that message poped, but right as i closed that window once i have had deleted the previous ones as i described it just have been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same experience, but once I clicked Apply and then OK, that last Account Unkown went away.

I hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same for me. I closed everything, opened it again and it was gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too! Thank you so much!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You saved my ass 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works like a charm, you saved my day, markelrays! For ver grateful 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to fix this for months, and this worked. You're a star!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU x 10,000 times!!!

Your contribution is way more valuable than what Adobe has done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks, how is it possible that it happens to many people? And Adobe don't say nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little disappointing that the Adobe employees don't respond on the queries either, or they reply once and never again. At least there are some brilliant people on the forum who help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfectly! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I just clicked on a PDF, and the same problem came back, an error popped up, and Windows Explorer froze. It was working fine since I did this fix, and everything was great this morning; it's only been in the last hour something has changed.

I went to the Adobe folder as per outlined in this fix, and all of those unknown accounts were back. I've deleted them all again, and the PDF preview is working fine. The question is, what's causing all of these unknown accounts? Is this something we have to keep doing? Seems very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! It would be nice if Adobe would chime in 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering the same thing, what caused this creating of unknown accounts that to so many. Before I got the step to fix this issue from this community, I had contacted Adobe customer care, the tech support did clean removal of the complete adobe applications installed on the system remotely such uninstallation, deleting all folders etc. And it worked for few hours and then the issue was back. But since I have done the fix given here, issue has not been generated yet. Also there was an update from Adobe few days ago, might be the hot-fix. Who knows? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RocketFive,

When you remove the Unknown Accounts that returned, go into Advanced and click on Disable Inheritance and let me know if that works?

Do you use your Adobe account on multiple PC's or do you have more than one Adobe Account?

I'm wondering if that's why they are created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey RedFeathers

Sorry for the late reply; it's been a crazy week. I've gone into advanced as you suggested, and it's asking 'What would you like to do with the current inherited permissions?'. The options are 'Convert inherited permissions into explicit permissions on the object' or 'Remove all inherited permissions from this object'. Which is the best to choose?

I only have my Adobe account on one PC. I was wondering if some other software (like Microsoft Edge or Chrome) is creating these as they have PDF previews?

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, no problem, I know how it goes, especially towards the festive seasons when deadlines loom.

You need to select the 'Remove all inherited permissions from this object' for the Unknown accounts before it will allow you to remove the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, deadlines are pretty much my life right now 🙂 

Perfecto, thank you. I'll give this a shot later when I have a moment; currently on another deadline, phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! This worked for me perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@markelrayes LEGEND!! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines