• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"An Internal Error Occured" when clicking on a PDF and Windows Explorer preview pane is showing.

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Running Windows 11, up-to-date system and up-to-date Creative Cloud and Adobe Acrobat DC. I have my preview pane visible when going through my files, and sometime in the last 2 weeks PDFs no longer show up in the preview pane. Instead, windows explorer freezes for a few seconds and then shows an Adobe Acrobat "An Internal Error Occured" pop-up. I tried clearing out my temporary files, and tried creating a "2022" folder in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\ which was suggested in this thread. Neither worked. All other file types (.jpg, .doc, etc.) show up in the preview pane just fine. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 134651.png

 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I had to go C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder, click properties and go to security tab. I had a bunch of left-over "Account Unknown" listed besides my three main ones (System, [me], Admin). I deleted all the account unknowns.

That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

This worked, for me! (thank god, what a pain in the a**)
I couldn't find the "AppData" folder, I ended up finding it by clicking "view", then "show" and then toggling on "hidden files".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Me paso lo mismo, entre en la ruto que colocaron y le saque los permisos heredados y borre los los desconocidos y hasta ahora funciona

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 144 Replies 144
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed! For real thank you!! Such an irritating error 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally a life saver... Thank you SOOO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray MarkelRayes! This totally worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked everything. No "unknown" accounts (only SYSTEM, [me] and Admin. The error is still occuring. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me as there are only 3 accounts, admin, me and system. Although the disabling the Preview pane stps the error, it means I can't use the preview pane which is a useful tool. Only a work around, not a solution. The problem only occurs for me when clicking on a PDF that has onedrive syncing it. Not my local machine. Microsoft seems to not have any support for this but it's clearly an issue on both sides. Any other solutions other than already shared? Also, what is the cause of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, for me! (thank god, what a pain in the a**)
I couldn't find the "AppData" folder, I ended up finding it by clicking "view", then "show" and then toggling on "hidden files".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That also worked for me! God bless you! You are an angel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for me as well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey just wanted to come here and say that while this solution did not work for me, I deleted all files located at "C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder" and just deleted them all, then tried running adobe and it finally worked fine. Took me hours of work trying to figure out what could be the issue.

uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work, downloading the latest patch didn't work, permissions were fine, no unknown users in the permissions tab. deleting temp folder didn't work. What finally got this bug resolved for me was deleting that entire file, it rebuilt when i relaunched adobe. I just want to say that if you get an error saying that the file is in use, use task manager to close all instances of adobe including the cloud app, and the update messenger app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I think this fixed the problem for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me paso lo mismo, entre en la ruto que colocaron y le saque los permisos heredados y borre los los desconocidos y hasta ahora funciona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even Adobe escalated team could not resolved this entering remotely in to my pc for several hours, but your this technic worked for me within 10 minuits. "MILLIONS OF THANK YOU! !!!!!!!!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too!

YOU ROCK! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the solutions listed here. I'm running Windows 11, completely upto date system. I've worked out it's an Adobe Acrobat DC issue by removing Adobe Acrobat and letting the system fallback to Foxit phantom pdf which was my previous default software. The moment I did this, all of the pdf's can be previewed without a fuss. 

I'm at a complete loss of how to resolve this for now and don't want to waste more time than I already have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josholo,

Adobe hasn't been very helpful in this thread. I'm not sure how to apply the Account Unknown fix in Windows 11. Maybe start a new discussion?

If I find any helpful tips or solutions I'll post them here for you.

As a quick fix, you can disable the preview pane in your folders, but as a designer, it's almost as frustrating as the errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a very frusting error, especially if you are doing any design and you have alot of files. The preview screen can really help with workflow and efficiency. 
For now, using the default system viewer without Adobe Acrobat DC installed is getting me out of trouble and working without a fuss. When i'm not buried in projects, I'll revisit this one and see if I can resolve. 

Strange that the preview works inside application like outlook but not in explorer. I unfortunatley don't have all of these 'unknown accounts' which has stumped as to the source of the error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange, are you sure you looked in the right folder?

It has happened that people have gone into the wrong folder, did you type out the file path or just click through? C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local and then right-click on the Adobe folder?

Have you tried posting on a Microsoft forum?

I've attached the 5-step screenshots that I made in case you missed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RedFeathers I had another go but the error still persists. I've escalated to our own IT department to see if they can find any strange conflicts that are perhaps linked to company app security protocols and all that. I don't have any of the 'anonymous' users in any area at all. All users have full permissions too. Very strange and very frustrating that i can't seem to use the most simple product out of the adobe suite due to a consistent error at preview pdf which also then slows up my computer to display the 'internal error occurred' message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RedFeathers wrote:

Hi Josholo,

Adobe hasn't been very helpful in this thread. I'm not sure how to apply the Account Unknown fix in Windows 11. Maybe start a new discussion?

May be ask in a Microsoft forum?

These fora are basically user to user fora. When Adobe employees jump in, they are doing that in their "free" time too. Users helping users is sometimes more effective than calling support, especially for such a strange behaviour.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo, thanks for clearing that up, I was under the impression that there are Adobe staff moderating the forums and looking out for possible bugs for future product updates. Keep well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a bow! I've been struggling with no preview for months and then the 'Internal Error' started and it's totally stuffed up my workflow. Asked my tech husband to look at it and other solutions didn't work. He was going to do a reinstall of my computer tonight, but now he doesn't have to... and he knows how to fix it for others! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me crazy! Have restarted, reinstalled, updated software... even got a new laptop! It's a work issued and had another problem but when I was reset back up with my credentials the error came with it. Very frstrating and confusing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to have worked!! Hallelujiah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the fix, but for me there arent any unknown users to delete - anyone got any alternative ideas for me to try? Doing my head in - I literally create PDFs all day long. I'm pulling my hair out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines