• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"An Internal Error Occured" when clicking on a PDF and Windows Explorer preview pane is showing.

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Running Windows 11, up-to-date system and up-to-date Creative Cloud and Adobe Acrobat DC. I have my preview pane visible when going through my files, and sometime in the last 2 weeks PDFs no longer show up in the preview pane. Instead, windows explorer freezes for a few seconds and then shows an Adobe Acrobat "An Internal Error Occured" pop-up. I tried clearing out my temporary files, and tried creating a "2022" folder in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\ which was suggested in this thread. Neither worked. All other file types (.jpg, .doc, etc.) show up in the preview pane just fine. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 134651.png

 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I had to go C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder, click properties and go to security tab. I had a bunch of left-over "Account Unknown" listed besides my three main ones (System, [me], Admin). I deleted all the account unknowns.

That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

This worked, for me! (thank god, what a pain in the a**)
I couldn't find the "AppData" folder, I ended up finding it by clicking "view", then "show" and then toggling on "hidden files".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Me paso lo mismo, entre en la ruto que colocaron y le saque los permisos heredados y borre los los desconocidos y hasta ahora funciona

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 144 Replies 144
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat: no unknown users to delete. This problem was intermittent 3 weeks ago but now it is constant. Adobe Acrobat DC full version is unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up, I completely uninstalled Acrobat and re-downloaded it from Adobe. The continuus release version is 2022.003.20282, running on Windows 11. It seems to be working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Lawrence. Will give it a shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another follow-up for people who don't find any strange users at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Adobe, as per the above suggestions.

I did an uninstall of Acrobat, followed by a new install and this worked for a little while but then problems started to appear again. Menu's didn't work, icons didn't appear. Yesterday I went within Acrobat to Help... Repair Installation... and got some instant relief. Everything was working again. Today, it was back to bad again! Help... Repair Installation... seems to fix things for a little while until some random event makes the software unusable again. I have been using Acrobat since at least the early naughts and have never experienced anyting as bad and pervasive as this.

This might bide some time for people who have Acrobat work piling up and are at their wits ends. I use Acrobat for checking and repairing accessibility in my coursebooks. I don't have another software piece to do this. However, for regular reading and commenting on PDFs, I have PDF Architect. This comes in free and subscription versions.

Running: Windows 11 Pro, Acrobat continuous release 2022.003.20282, 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, it seems that users on Win 11 are having the issue with Account Unknown not showing up, some people have mistyped or forgotten to right-click, and instead have just opened the Adobe folder. I was holding thumbs that the update would fix the error, but it didnt.

Do you use more than one Adobe account or the same account on multiple systems, I have a theory that this is why there are issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Redfeathers, There were no strange accounts when clicking there or typing the address directly into the bar. I have only one Adobe account.

I have something new that seems to be working for me running Acrobat Pro on Windows 11.

I went to Creative Cloud Desktop, I located Acrobat in the list of available apps, then clicked on the ... symbol, and uninstalled Acrobat Pro. I restarted the computer, and then went to Windows Start, Settings, Apps, Installed Apps, and made sure that Acrobat was no longer in that list. (It wasn't.) Then I went back to Creative Cloud Desktop and made sure that I was still logged in to creative cloud. Then I went to the Adobe website directly (not via creative cloud desktop) and downloaded and installed Acrobat Reader (not Pro).

Here is what I think is the important part. The interface to Reader is different to before. It has a hamburger in the top left corner.

After the new Reader was up and running and seemed to be working fine, I then clicked on the tool for ‘Prepare for Accessibility,’ since I know that one is a Pro-only feature. A series of dialogs appear, and since you are already logged in to Creative Cloud desktop, Acrobat Pro is downloaded and installed for you. Now, Pro is running rather than Reader, and the interface has a hamburger in the top left corner.

My hypothesis is that some people, like me, were trying to run Pro under Windows 11 with the old Acrobat Pro interface, rather than the "new experience" (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html). In the old interface, there were certain repeatable problems related to the interface: (1) the internal error, click Ok, Ok, Ok, !!!! dialog problem when clicking on the Page display submenu, (2) many of the toolbar buttons not showing, (3) menu selections not working or that caused the application to crash, (3) sidebars empty of tool icons. I am guessing that Windows 11 was not supporting these basic interface elements.

I would be interested to know if anyone else finds that the new hamburger experience allows you to get your work done in Windows 11. I will write back with an update if I find any problems; hopefully not; knock on wood.

Windows 11: OS build 22621.1105.

Acrobat: continuous release 2022.003.20310 (64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that comprehensive report.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the "new experience" on Windows 11 as noted above, and I hve had no problems since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a huge frustration. The solution given by Lawrence24570737vfmm solved it for me. Windows 11. Also no unknown accounts for me. I uninstalled everything, downloaded Acrobat reader, and upgraded in my CC account. Thank You Lawrence24570737vfmm!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update from Adobe on this? It's been months, and the issue is not a small one - it's impacting my working life on an hourly basis. Can someone from Adobe please give an update on a permanent fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the solution here. Didn't work for me. I then uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat and now I can't even open the program. Pitiful Adobe assistance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just managed to fix mine. Initially I didn't have any of the AccountsUnknown in my list but I uninstalled and reinstalled using CC and then right after reinstallation the AccountsUnknown were there. Removed them all and it began working instantly. Make sure you're checking the User\AppData\Local\Abobe and not Roaming or the other paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi roberte97860397

Hope you are doing well and am sorry for the delayed response. Our development team is looking into it and requires some more info. Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and share them via any cloud storage? Just upload the logs file to cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still need the logs? 
Error is still occuring on several different installations 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you i am a btech student and i run into this problem and this realy works.

all you need to do is go to users/[username]/app data/local/adobe and then properties to account and deleting unwanted accounts. and try to again preview the required document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows file Explorer > View > Deselect preview pane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows file Explorer > View > Deselect preview pane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumb answer, people are not looking to disable the Preview Panel, they want to use this feature to have a quick peek on PDF documents without having to open them one by one. 

Only solution for now is to check the Properties of the "Adobe" folder in AppData/Local/Adobe and remove the Unknown Account there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the whole point is we used to be able to click on a PDF and quickly preview it without opening it, and now we can't and it's annoying. Deselecting the Preview Pane is not a solution it just hides the issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines