• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Combine files in Acrobat..." Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when I got a new computer. Now, when I use the "Combine files in Acrobat..." function when selecting multiple PDF files, a new instance of Adobe Acrobat starts as though I clicked on the desktop shortcut, but no documents are combined or even present in the Adobe window. How do I fix this issue?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathand,

Could you please try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Reboot the machine and try combining files again, does that work?

2- If it doesn't, check if Acrobat is updated to the latest patch- click check for updates under help menu. You may also download updates manually using this link: Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows , reboot the machine after installing update and try again.

3- If step 2 doesn't work, repair Acrobat installation - go to Help > click Repair Installation, reboot the machine after repair and check.

Could you let us know Acrobat version installed on the machine: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Operating system installed on the machine?

Have you tried combining multiple pdf files using "Combine files in Acrobat" option in Windows Explorer, does that work?

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue - Adobe Acrobat allowed me to combine my files and the combined file PDF looked ok to me.  I had to upload this to the cloud through my school to submit for an assignment and the majority of the 70 pages in the document showed up blank.  I need a fix to this ASAP as I have to resubmit this file!  Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephanies,

Would you mind sharing Acrobat version and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Have you tried combining other pdf files to check if its a file specific issue?

If the issue still persists with other pdfs as well, try repairing Acrobat by clicking "Repair Installation" under Help menu, reboot the machine after repair and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run through all three steps above and yet the issue persists. I also can no longer drag and drop PDFs into a currently open PDF in organize pages tool, but I can drag pages out of the PDF onto my desktop to extract them...

I am currently using Windows 10.

Please see screenshot of my Adobe Version.

Adobe Pro Version.PNG

I have tried combining PDFs on my desktop as well as in windows explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathand,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you try removing Acrobat using cleaner tool which you can download from here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs , reboot the machine, download Acrobat DC from here: Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X . reboot the machine once again and check. You need to enter the serial number for Acrobat to complete the installation.

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, a fresh install did not help. I am still having the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathand,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you try creating a new user account using the steps given here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-accoun... , login in the account and launch Acrobat from there, does that work?

If the issue still persists, please contact our support here: Contact Customer Care ( sign in with your Adobe ID to begin and select from the options available on the page).

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works on the Windows 10  new account. How do I make it work on my main Windows 10 account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathand,

Please contact our support using this link: Contact Customer Care (sign in using your Adobe credentials > select Adobe Acrobat > Licensing & Activation > show me my contact options > and select from chat or phone.

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem and this page does not provide a solution. Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem.

How have people fixed this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathand,

I am having the same problem. I right click the drawings in windows explorer and they wont select the files a blank adobe acrobat opens up! I am using Win10 64 bit.

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you fix this Nathand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, but only if I already have a PDF document open. 

I have no trouble combining documents if Adobe/a PDF is not open already => If I want to combine, I need to close out other PDF documents I'm using/working on in order to combine then I have to reopen them.

This was never an issue before, but since one of the updates (I have no idea which one, I feel like this has been an issue for a few weeks/months now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the complaint I have too, but it's worked this way for as long as I can remember (several years at least). It's really annoying as I often have 10+ PDF's open, but at least the "Files-Create-Combine Files into a Single PDF" works for me. I would like to determine once and for all if this is expected behavior or a fixable bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same here!  It worked with all/any previous version of Adobe until the new Acrobat DC & has STILL NOT BE FIXED.

Now combining only works if there are NO OTHER PDF documents open.  This is extremely frustrating, as I also usually have mulitple PDFs open for other reasons/multitasking that I now have to stop everything & close all PDFs if I want to combine files.  I can still add pages one at a time (time consuming) to an open PDF file, but it is peferential to be able to highlight & combine files/PDFs while ohter PDFs are open for optimal workflow & multitasking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting that is worked for you in the past. That gives me hope that they will one day fix this. I suppose I should submit a support ticket if they ever respond. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble.

As you experience an issue with combining PDFs when other PDFs are open in the application, could you please share the Acrobat and OS version on the machine. so we can replicate the behviour on our end in the same environment. You may check the version details using the steps suggested here https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html

Please share the steps by step workflow used to combine the files. It would be helpful if you can share the video of the issue occuring on our end. It will help us in better understanding.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried contacting Adobe support twice.

Both times, they spent an extended period of time, uninstalling, re-installing, resetting (I lost all my Acrobat customisations), and they were not able to fix.

I got fustrated by the amount of time they were spending "experiementing", consuming my time, without any positive result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Version is: Continuous Release - Version 2020.012.20048 / Version File Version: 20.012.20048.6926 / AGM Version: 4.030.00104

I routinely have mulitple PDF documents open for varying reasons. 

I often need to combine other PDF files together or a combination of pdf/word/excel/pictures into 1 file - I DO NOT USE PORTFOLIO.  I highlight the files I need to combine on the desktop/in file folder then right click to select "Combine files in Acrobat..."

If I have any other PDF/adobe files open, this function ceases to work.  If I close out all PDF/Adobe files then I am able to use the combine funtion again.  

**Other open files/applications do not prevent combining, ONLY when PDF/Adobe documents are open already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way it works for me is if all pdf files that I want to combine are closed. Then I can just drop each file I want to combine in the 'Add Files' window, select them and click 'Combine Files.' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

neiderhl, Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have been dealing with this exact same issue for several months now and its getting to the point where I would have thought they would have figured out a fix by now. It is very frustrating to have to close out of all my open pdfs in the middle of working on something to combine other files into a pdf to then have to reopen everything I was working on and try to find the spot in the pdfs where I was already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. 

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 24.01.20615 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://adobe.ly/4arZJ0q and check.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines