• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Mailto" link doesn't work when opened in a browser

Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added a mailto link for my email address which works when the PDF is opened in Acrobat, but does not work when the PDF is opened as a file in a browser.

I'm attaching the PDF within a MailChimp newsletter, which forces the PDF to open in a browser – I don't see why that would be a problem though (particularly since I created a fillable form within the PDF and that works just fine). 

I'm using Acrobat Pro on a Mac OS / Ventura 13.3.1

I'll attach the portion of file in question so you can see if it behaves for you as I've described. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most browsers are not compliant with the PDF specification, so it's dicey how they process interactive elements such as hyperlinks, email addresses, form fields, etc.

Did you try using a different browser? Some are beginning to become more compliant with the standard. I know my version of FireFox browser has just added PDF features that make it much easier to read and use a PDF. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

When we post PDF forms, etc. on a website, we include language that recommends downloading the PDF to the end user's computer, and then opening it in Acrobat Reader or regular Acrobat or any brand of PDF reader.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting! You are right, of course. I opened the file in Chrome and the email link worked just fine (in fact, it worked on the original document that I hadn't event assigned an email link to! It seemed to just "know" that an email is something linkable.) I also opened it in FireFox and the linked version worked (but not the original as Chrome did).   

I will add the language of recommendation somewhere. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines