• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The document could not be saved: a file error has occurred"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon trying to save an extensively annotated PDF in Acrobat Reader DC (latest release), I received the above error message. I tried to save as, both to replace the existing file, then in another location, to receive the same message. By now, the text had vanished from the visible document and only the underlining and comments were visible. I've basically had to re-type all the comments separately in Word, and will now have to correlate the PDF page numbers to the documents page numbers etc etc, an extremely frustrating end to hours of work.

My question is: why has this happened and, given that this has happened on several occasions in the past (but on less important PDFs), how do I prevent it from happening again? I've since reopened the PDF, commented and saved, and it works fine, so this is clearly a sporadic and random bug. Several others seem to have had this happen on the forum but I haven't found a satisfactory fix (or it seems even a proper understanding of the problem) from Adobe. There are no security controls on my PDF. I am running OS X 10.13.3.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Please vote for this feature in the Acrobat User Voice forums: Recovery of all Open PDF documents after a crash or shutdown on the computer – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

That, as well as tons of other great ideas posted there by users, are always being reviewed by the Acrobat team. Take some time and make your voice known.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same problem. But instead of retyping all the comments, simply export the comments as an FDF file. Then close the file without saving. Then reopen it and import your comments.

I wrote about FDFs in depth here: https://creativepro.com/working-with-fdfs-forms-data-files/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I’d known about this before- thanks a lot! Great to have a workaround, now for Adobe to up their game..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please vote for this feature in the Acrobat User Voice forums: Recovery of all Open PDF documents after a crash or shutdown on the computer – Share your feedback o...

That, as well as tons of other great ideas posted there by users, are always being reviewed by the Acrobat team. Take some time and make your voice known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your post! You just saved me a day's work, which I can't believe I almost lost. It's so rare to edit a pdf that I've been spoiled by autosave everywhere else. Lesson learned!

Huge thx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of these solution options are helping my A file 1/0 error has occurred when trying to perform a save as in PDF on a fillable form. I have plenty of storage and I am using a MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines