• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"There was an error while opening this document. The path does not exist."

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When double-clicking a PDF in Windows 10 File Explorer, Acrobat gives the above error message.  The same problem occurs when choosing "Open With..." from the context menu and choosing Adobe Acrobat.  Choosing "Open With..." using other applications such as Firefox or Chrome does not produce any error.  Choosing "Edit with Adobe Acrobat" from the context menu opens the file without error.  Opening the file from within Acrobat using File/Open does not give any error. The problem is recent, reproducible, and persisted after doing a repair installation of Acrobat.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

I had the same problem. It was due to too long file names and use of dropbox. The file would open in my Downloads folder but when I copied to a Dropbox folder it would not open, nor could I change the name in the Dropbox folder. However, I could shorten the name in the Downloads folder and copy this to the Dropbox folder and then it would open in the Dropbox folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

I had the same problem with Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit) in a dropbox folder. I fixed the problem by shortening the folder name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I mean it's pretty clear this is a bug .. Adobe, just FIX IT. Pretty straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems. Works in download folder, does not work in Dropbox folder. I can open the file in Chrome without problems. 

Acrobat Reader version is 2021.007.20099

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please check out the MS help page i have found and see if that works, as it seems to be some issue with MS https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file#enable-long-paths-in-windows-10-...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the 21st century, Adobe! this is a problem one would expect from the old days of DOS. Get with it Adobe, this really isn't rocket science. If Windows allows a folder / file specification, your product which is supposed to the gold standard should take it. People are telling you that they can't open files because Adobe can't handled the directory / file name. That's an Adobe problem and your support keeps saying "look over there .. ". The problem is not over there. It's ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is excalty correct. I just had this happen to me. Never had an issues until today. This is all on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still ongoing and its still only Adobe documents at the root cause. All other documents are fine. This really needs sorting. It's not a Microsoft issue, its Acrobat failing to open the file correctly when there are long folder extentions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit) in a dropbox folder. I fixed the problem by shortening the folder name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "answer" in unacceptable.  Cannot open or save any PDF's - pretty basic fuctions and renders acrobat useless if neither work.  Asking me to rename all of my files / download all pdfs on sharepoint to open them is not acceptable.  Also it's unable to save files on my desktop with spaces - truncates the name at the space and does not save in PDF format.  Was using acrobat cloud yesterday and it all worked just fine.  Now on the desktop version and nothing works.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue on Windows 11, 64x. Adobe PDF version 1.4. This error is a real significant nuisance. Given the number of pdf documents I work with (hundreds per day), it's requiring me to rename and deal with this error at least 20% of the time. Please help/fix, adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I just resolved this for a user. This issue is caused by the 255bit limit placed by the windows file system. This needs to be adjusted in REGEDIT, to select the long option by changing a '0' to a '1'. Log into Regedit as an admin, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem select LongPathsEnable, change the word value to '1', restart your computer and that should be it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it still does not work. IS ADOBE's problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Judithhhhh 

It's actually not a filename limit that is imposed by the operating system, but a path limit. Your path (that's all the directories plus your filename) can only be a certain length.

Please go through the correct answers marked in the similar discussion below:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/acrobat-not-allowing-longer-file-names/m-p/131014...

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/Is-file-length-limit-Adobe-Acrobat-Pro-q191982.aspx

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b.s. - shortening the file name fixed the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the origin of problem. It is in the certain characters you use in the system path that leads to the PDF, not the name of the PDF itself. I am from Croatia and have used croatian letter "Đ" in the path name. When moving from Dropbox to OneDrive our entire company files one of our computers in the company was using Win 10. Others were using Win 7 and Win 11. The one with the Win 10 had an issue with letter "Đ" upwards in the path that leads to the PDFs that did not want to open. Other letters were an issue too.
I did the LongPathsEnabled hack, it did not work. Other files were opening fine, even deeper inside the structure so it was a real puzzle. ONLY PDFs have this problem. 
Rename the folders that lead to the folder that contains the PDFs.
Copy one PDF upwards in the structure until you can open it. Look at the folder it came from and remove any non-english or special characters and then copy the PDF again inside the folder and see if it works. Try renaming the folder name and PDF name until you figure out what the problematic character is messing Acrobat reader.
Why this happens I don't know, but to me it only happens on Win 10 and when Acrobat Reader and OneDrive come together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines