• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Z@R828.tmp" font instead of Arial - again

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues in Feb 2023 as the folk who posted on the following discussion had back in 2018.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/quot-z-r828-tmp-quot-font-instead-of-arial/td-p/9

The only difference is the font is defaultinig to Z@R54F7.tmp 

Here is my scenario:

1. I added bates numbering to a doc. The font I selected is Arial. Arial is installed on my PC and Adobe has Arial in the font drop down list. So far all looks well.

2. I noticed I had misplelt "initial" in a footer box. 

3. Find and Replace "Iniital" with "Initial" - for every page because Adobe can't be bothered to implement a "Replace All" feature.

4.Every time I hit replace the word is gibberish because the font has changed. 

The only way to correct my document is to manually edit each and every page. However its not Find and Replace whcih is the cause of this issue. Its Adobe Acrobat changing the font back to  Z@R54F7.tmp  each and every time I click on a text insertion / edit point. 

I have run the repair installation option under the Help menu and also tried toggling "use system fonts" on and off in preferences -> Page Display - no dice. 

Why am I constantly running into these sorts of bugs only to find very old Abobe discussion threads describing the exact same issue? Why do admins / moderators mark discussions about unresolved issues as "solved" and lock them to prevent further posts? 

Oh well, time to close Adobe and see how FoxIt fares.

Windows 10,  Adobe Acrobat Pro (32 Bit), 22.003.20314

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? We have multiple users, some on Windows, some on Mac, all having the issue and it's causing a lot of problems. We think it might be the source system that generated the PDF? Is there any way for me to track that down if that's the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Font issues with PDFs are common for many reasons. Here are just a few:

• Fonts are copyrighted intellectual property, so the font manufacturer (which often isn't Adobe at all) can put restrictions on how it is embedded in a PDF file, and whether you can edit the PDF's text using that particular font. You may be fine doing that, maybe not.
  • Some font manufacturers restrict their fonts from being embedded into PDFs and other digital files. Sometimes you can purchase an additional user license specifically for embedding into digital files, but often the extra licenses are expensive. And it depends upon how much the font manufacturer wants to gauge your wallet. FYI, Adobe's fonts that are available with the Creatie Cloud suite are embeddable without additional license fees. Most of the fonts that ship with MS Windows and Office, as well as with the Apple OS, are embeddable too.
  • To edit any PDF, the fonts used in the PDF must be installed on the computer system that is editing the PDF. (Gosh I hope that was clear enough writing!) A font that looks similar or even has a similar name (but is not an exact match) propably won't work. Go to: File / Document Properties / Fonts tab and view the list of fonts that the PDF uses. Make sure you have all of them installed on your computer before you start to edit the PDF.
  • The PDF file format wasn't designed to be edited. In fact, is was initially designed to lock down the content and NOT allow any editing at all.  Being able to change the text and graphics, add new text and graphics, etc. are very recent changes to the file format — and can have unpredictable outcomes — regardless of which brand of software you choose, Adobe or another PDF editor (we test them in our shop).
  • Usually a font called Z@R54F7.tmp or something similar is Acrobat trying to temporarily reproduce a lookalike font using its internal fonts.
  • Sometimes force-embedding the fonts into the PDF with Adobe Acrobat — before you start to edit it or add Bates numbering, follow the instructions in this post to force-embed the fonts into the pdf: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/text-changes-to-special-symbols-with-saving-pdf-i...

In the end, it often is more efficient to return back to the souce file (Word, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, etc.) and make the editorial changes in the source. Then re-export a new, better PDF — selecting the option to embed all fonts, of course.

Hope this helps!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines