• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radio buttons black out when applying signature using fill & sign function in Acrobat Reader DC

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a form using Acrobat Pro DC. The form has Text Fields and Radio Buttons. My end users are completing the forms using Acrobat DC. Once the form is filled in, the end user is applying a signature using the fill and sign function. After signing they are selecting save as. Once the form saves, all the radio buttons are blacked and the form is locked so the user cannot fix to reflect the original radio button selection. 

I want the user to be able to fill in the form using the fillable features I've created, as well as, sign using the fill and sign feature in Adrobat Reader DC, and then save the document. After saving I want all data to remain discernable. 

I have done the "Save as Other", "Reader Extended PDF" option already and it didn't resolve my issue. What other suggestions do you have?

<update> The issue where radio buttons black out happens whenever the user signs the form or tries to print the 

form.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF program are the other users utilizing to sign this PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like it doesnt matter, after making form with radio buttons in Acrobat Pro and then in same program trying to use fill and sign funktion, radio buttons are blanked. Same experience i get from users who were using those forms now for serveral years. Cant find solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think the problem is that the Fill & Sign feature is not documented properly as to thoroughly explain to the users what is supported and what is not; which creates confusion and incorrect expectation accross the user communities.

The Fill & Sign allows to edit, fill and sign a form but only with static content features (at least that is the problem that most users have been posting recently).

Since the Fill & Sign tool provides its own set of editing tools, I've observed that it doesn't respect pdf objects (such as radio buttons widgets, and certificate-based digital signature fields).

But if you use instead "Request e-signatures", Adobe Sign will display everything as intended in your PDF forms, and it will also support the highest encryption ( if you've set security/editing restrictions on your PDFs)

The inconvenience of this current Adobe Sign workflow is that you must add yourself as an email recipient in order to be able receive, open the file, and then fill, print, comment, save a copy, or sign the PDF.

The pros are that when you distribute this form to your users via Adobe Sign service, they don't need Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription nor are required to have Adobe Reader installed in their computing devices; they can fill and sign directly from their web browsers on a full desktop computer, tablet or phone mobile devices. 

Other PDF editors/viewers (not from Adobe), doesn't seem to have this particular restriction when compared to Acrobat's Fill & Sign tool (which is weird in my opinion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks, your information is bring a lot of light in.

However, i am only producer of those forms and after i distribute them, those are spreading even further. "Request e-signatures" was the way i was thinking should be and is used (beside fill, print and sign)... no. It seem impossible to instruct all users and users are capable to be creative beyond my imagination.

So, as i need sort of bullet proof solution, i will probably just abandon radio, which was ment as life improving solution and turn it into fill-in fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

I forgot to ask if you are currently enforcing any type editing restriction in that PDF.

In which case, if you've set a password to prevent editing, maybe all you neeed to do is lower the encryption type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All i do is File/Save as Other/Reader Extended PDF/Enable More Tools

I was testing few days ago, if this small sort of protection can be reason for "radio misbehavior", but no. Unprotected pdfs were the same. Only constant output was randomnes in which radio buttons were blanked.. i didnt put much effort to that, past my recognition, that i cant influence anything this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting.

Thank you for sharing that.

You'll get a better chance to voice your valuable feedback to Adobe using the links below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines