• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue and none of the fixes here have worked. I don't have file syncing. I have full access to the folders. But I can't save any PDFs.

I have removed Acrobat and re-installed. Same issue.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brianc,

As you have mentioned above, you have already tried other fixes as suggested.

While saving the PDF's, please check if the preview window is enabled or not in the windows explorer.

If it is enabled, try to disable the preview window and save the file in the application.

Check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, please share the details as asked below:

- Does this issue occur with a particular document or with multiple PDFs?

- Please share the exact workflow you do when you receive the error message.

- What is the application version installed on the machine? Take help from here Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

- OS version on the machine?

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File preview windows is not on.

The issue occurs with every PDF on my computer.
I open a PDF (all contained locally - some on the desktop, some in the documents folder, etc.). I make any edit. I save. When I click save I get the error "The document cannot be saved. Access Denied."

This is a personal laptop - not part of a domain. I am logged in with an administrator account with full access to all of the folders where the PDFs are saved. I even tried running Acrobat as an administrator, but got the same result.

This is Windows 10, Acrobat version 19.010.20098

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information.

Please let us know since when you have started experiencing this issue.

Try once to repair the installation.  In the application, go to Help > Repair Installation.

Check if that makes any difference.

Did you make any changes on your machine recently?

Would you please share any sample file with us on which you receive the error message? How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Let us know what kind of changes you make on the PDFs.

Share the screenshot of the error message with us.

To share the screenshot, use the steps provided below:

- Click on the insert icon provided in the reply window as shown below:

- An Insert Image window will appear.

- Then click on Insert Image and browse the location where you have saved the screenshot file.

- Select the file and click on Open > Insert Image.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Repair installation failed.

RepairInstall.JPG

I then tried running Acrobat as an administrator (right click -> run as administrator). Same error on the repair install.

Here is the error I get trying to save and PDF.

error.JPG

I can upload a PDF, but it is literally every single PDF I try to edit gets this message. For testing purposes, the only edits I was making was either highting text or using the pen tool to draw a line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brianc,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Would you please share any one sample PDF with us? We would like to replicate the issue on our end.

You may share the file in a private message as well if you do not wish to share it on a public forum. How Do I Send Private Message

Please use the steps provided here to share the file How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it was having the preview window function and the file I'm working on highlighted/selected. Unselecting the file (and thus taking it off the preview) solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I finally found a solution, which works for me at least.

Go to Edit > Preferences > General > uncheck Show online storage when saving files > OK. 

Hope it works for you as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines