• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader and Acrobat on same PC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to install both Acrobat and Reader on same PC.

How can I do this?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ko Za 

If you have installed the 32-bit Acrobat Reader application, you will be automatically upgraded to the 64-bit version of Acrobat Reader gradually. If you have installed Acrobat Reader 64-bit and you purchase an Acrobat subscription, the Acrobat Reader 64-bit application will upgrade to become a fully functional Acrobat 64-bit application. 

For more information, please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/about-acrobat-reader-dc-migration-to-64-bit.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Amal. This does not address the use case where someone with a subscription wishes to confirm that users with the Reader only will be able to access forms created using the full version and saved appropriately. Prior to this change, users could have both versions installed concurrently for testing purposes. After this change, this is no longer possible without going through unwarranted extra steps. Running a virtual machine just to install Reader and using a separate computer just to access Reader are examples of unwarranted extra steps.

Although everything SHOULD work out and the tools should function as advertised and designed, the design users are unable to confirm that the forms will work as intended. If an issue happens to occur, the first notice of this will be when their recipients report back to them of a problem. Which they now cannot see or diagnose before hand.

Please consider re-enabling the concurrent installation of Reader and the full version of Acrobat Pro for those that elect to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michael

Whatever we collectively want from Adobe is unlikely to occur.

Being the instegator of this question I am resigned to having Adobe Acrobat DC subscription on one PC, and Acrobat Reader on another for testing.

Adobe also installs a couple of tasks on the PC containing DC subscription. They appear in the Task Manager as 'Adobe Update Service', 'Adobe AcroCEF' and 'Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer 22.3' - for now.

These tasks can be removed and deleted but will reappear the next time you log onto your Adobe account. I have performed the removal task 3 or 4 times, and some time shortly after accessing my Adobe account the apps are visible in Task Manager. (There is a Adobe executable to remove them)

These processes update the DC subscription in the background and depending what other applications you have installed can affect the operation of those applications - particularly if they are able to output PDF format documents.

I opened this enquiry more than 12 months ago. The Adobe line has been to use Acrobat DC. They don't offer any constructive advice how to resolve the issue.

All in all, the best option is to recognise that Adobe doesn't care about its customers, so install Reader on another laptop or move away from Adobe. We have started using PyPDF2 and python to resolve most of our requirements for installing Acrobat DC.

Regards

Ray Connon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what still might work = parallel installation of the 32-bit-version of Adobe Reader and older (full) Acrobat versions. download availabe: https://get.adobe.com/de/reader/otherversions/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this works as rough workaround and is more of a “band-aid”. You may have to scroll up for additional info depending on your environment. Long story short you have a edit the registry keys in your computer so that Adobe suppresses the additional Acrobat features and auto login. I got this to work but keep in mind that you must also completely sign out of Creative Cloud as well. If you are long into your local creative cloud application, it will auto log you into Acrobat Pro as soon as you launch Acrobat. Hopefully this helps until a better solution is out there.

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/singleinstaller.html#additional-requir...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened this enquiry more than 12 months ago. The Adobe line has been to use Acrobat DC. They don't offer any constructive advice how to resolve the issue.

By @RayConnon

Now I use Acrobat Pro and Foxit Reader on the same PC.

They works fine together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of June 2022 there is a unified 64-bit installer which installs BOTH applications.  Once the user logs in, their subscription level determines whether they can access Reader-only or Acrobat features.  Details seem to be well hidden but hre is the announcement page:

Windows Virtual Deployment Overview — Acrobat Desktop Virtualization Guide (adobe.com)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how this solves the ability to install Acrobat and Reader on same device.

When I checked my subscription options, I am permitted to install Reader on some other device other than that already running Acrobat.

So the status quo remains. ie; Adobe do not offer an option to install Reader and Acrobat on the same device concurrently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. You can no longer have Acrobat and Reader on the same device ('cept with a VM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had little problem in installing both Acrobat and Reader, and can select which one I am using for a given file. But I do not have a subscription for Acrobat which may make a difference.

First I fully installed and registered the 64-bit version Acrobat Pro (non-subscription perpetual license for Acrobat 2020) on my computer.  I am not sure but believe it is necessary to completely install Acrobat first, then install the Reader only program.

Then I followed "jueblu"s advice (thanks jueblu) which I believe is key to make this work. I accessed the separate installer for just Adobe Reader. Since I do not read German I went to this (English) link instead:

https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ 

After running that "Reader only" installer with no issues or errors I wound up with two entries with default names in the Start menu:

• Adobe Acrobat [which is the DC Reader]
  • Adobe Acrobat 2020 [which is the full featured Pro]

For my own clarity in the Start folder I renamed that "Adobe Acrobat" shortcut to "Adobe Reader"

I also double checked the location of each program from those shortcuts respectively, which verified they invoke different programs:

• C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2020\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Now to avoid conflicts: Decide which program will open PDF files by default, e.g. by double clicking. I choose to use Reader for all my default reading of PDF file. Thus if I want to use Acrobat on a PDF file I must explicitly direct that file to Acrobat, such as:

• right-click on the file and choose Acrobat from "Open with",
  • open Acrobat from the Start menu then use it to go to the file to open it,
  • or drag and drop into Acrobat.

Associating most of the Acrobat extensions (at least .pdf) to Reader can either be done in Settings, manually in the Registry, or by using a program to manipulate the Registry.

I am now painlessly and successfully using both Reader and Acrobat on the same device concurrently.  I can have two separate windows open at the same time, one running Reader on a file and one running Acrobat on a different file.

Hope this gives someone ideas,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael and thanks for posting such detail - it really helps. 

I hope your solution survives the next Adobe updates 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure why i am getting a notice of a response that is older than my
post... but no that "unified" process does not allow me to be able to use
reader. ADOBE is useless and will not function without paying for a
subscription, unless i uninstall everything and only reinstall the reader.
Which i dont want to have to do because once in a while i do want to use
the full version.

--
[PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED BY MODERATOR - THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM NOT ADOBE SUPPORT, PLEASE DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFORMATION]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 1 - Just use the 32-bit versions of both. Adobe supports the 32-bit versions of Reader and Standard /Pro coexisting on the same computer.

Option 2 - Install the combined installer for Reader, Standard and Pro. It's available in 64-bit only, and you'll only need to install 1 app to get the functionality of all 3 - what actual features you get depends on the account you login with (a free account is available for those who want the free Reader functionality) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the ‘all-in-one’ solution fails to account for is proper testing. Yes, it allows the user of the Standard/Pro to open and test files without issue. What it fails to do is allow the user to verify themselves that a particular form will function on the free reader version of the software.

It is bad form when a client comes back with an issue and the only thing the designer can say is “it works for me (shrug)”. A phrase is ‘Trust, yet verify.’ Trust the software to work, but VERIFY that it is working as intended. The inability to do so due to a policy change is a step backwards. Having to install a VM or isntall reader to a completely separate device to regain functionality that existed before this change is a step backwards and an unreasonable imposition. What reason exists for this change aside from changes sake?

As of January 2023, official support for 32-bit systems and the 32-bit version of Acrobat is curiously difficult (for me at least) to locate. It is not available in the Creative Cloud desktop nor is it apparently available from the adobe.com/actobat site. So, users need to jump through unwarranted steps, find unpublished links to FTP sites to essentially install a downgrade of Acrobat Reader to 32-bit. One that is no longer supported. One that will likely eventually be missing features added to the 64-bit version of Acrobat (Reader/Standard/Pro)..

This is not a solution. Why is it an issue to have a concurrent installation of the free reader version along with a paid version of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html 

I get your point, totally. And I agree.

But I wanted to make sure you have a solution, so I pasted the link above which opens an Adobe page. One of the links on that page is for a 32-bit installer for Acrobat Pro with the following tag line:

"Use this installer to install a 32-bit version of Acrobat in order to install Adobe Reader as a separate application"

Also, here's a great tip that was given to me by an Adobe support technician who was helping me on the phone - when searching for Adobe download links include the words 'Adobe' (obviously) and 'helpx' (which you'll see in all of the Adobe download URLs. It makes searching far more efficient).

Sadly, but inevitably, Adobe no longer support 32-bit systems. 

They still support their 32-bit software, and their 64-bit software, just not on 32-bit systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add this note about using the unified installer as a non-subscriber:

- you will need to create an Adobe account, and then login with that account, to use the application as a "Reader-only" 

- you will be prompted to begin a 7-day trial of the full version (compulsory) 

- you will need to give credit card or Paypal details (compulsory) 

- once give credit or Paypal details you'll need to wait a few minutes before you can login and cancel your subscription 

- cancel before the 7-day trial ends to avoid the monthly charge 

- even after you cancel, you'll continue to see messages about your trial having run out (see image below as example) an will see regular reminders to buy a subscription.  You won't need to subscribe, but you may find the messages to be annoying.

Adobe-Subs-Ending-7of7.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines